My Ameraucana's -Pullets or Roos?? Added Pic's post #12

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steffpeck, Oct 9, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Here are some of my chicks that I got from Pips&Peeps (Jean). They are about 6 1/2 weeks old. I also have some Blue's but didn't take their pic's because there are a lot of them. And I have 2 whites, and looking at them, I am pretty sure I have a pair.

Blacks - I think I have a pair??
    [​IMG]

Silver - I think it is a pullet?
    [​IMG]

Splash - I think, I am not sure. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Wheatens?? I think 2 roos & 2 pullets??
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    The two larger ones on the bottom picture look like they could be cockerels. Not sure on the others though but they look real nice so far!

3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks!

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    On the 3 Splash ones, the middle one seems to have a smaller comb and smaller feet. I would guess that one is a pullet.

ETA: They are all really pretty!!! I have been wondering what kind of chick I have and after seeing yours, she looks similar to your Blue Wheaten ones. Thanks for posting pics!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the only ones I can tell you(because I got some from her too) is on the bottom.
    l-r
    wheaten roo
    blue wheaten roo
    blue wheaten pullet
    wheaten roo

I am still not positive on my silvers

SunAngel- if you did not get your birds from a breeder then you most likely have easter eggers, a lot of hatcheries sell them as Ameraucana, Araucana, Americana, etc. but thet are just pretty mix breeds that lay colored eggs(usually)

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Blacks- cockerels
    Silver - pullet
    Splashes - pics row #2 - cockerel, cockerel, pullet
    Wheatons- can't quite tell......

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I was just wondering how you can tell...I have a blue and a splash that were the only two hatches out of 8 eggs and they both look the same as far as their combs are concerned. They are 3 mo.s old now and still have pale combs, at least what there is of a comb.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Steff:

Just got in from another visit to the ER.....

The blacks both look like "Pats" to me at this point. Hopefully you have watched SNL before. [​IMG]

On the silver it looks like a pullet, but the best way to tell is to see if the bird has any peachy/salmon colored feathers on the breast. The boys will feather in just black with white spots.

I think I see a cockerel and a pullet in the splash pictures. I think the smaller one is a white. I am sorry to say it looks like a runt, no idea on the sex at this point. [​IMG]

And I concur that you have a wheaten cockerel, a blue wheaten cockerel, a pullet of undetermined wheaten variety (could be wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten, leaning towards blue wheaten) and a wheaten cockerel in the pictures.

9. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Steph

Cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know how you all can tell from these pictures what they are.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    If you can see 3 ridges on the comb from a distance like the one the blacks are at then you got most likely a roo. Pullets you may see 1 ridge in the middle but other then that the comb would be very flat and some what covered by the feathers(like the silver).

Also from all the ameraucanas I hatched this year only 1 was a pullet........ so I have gotten pretty certain with spotting roosters(or maybe I am just paranoid? Dunno, but all I got looked like roosters as 1 week olds and still do as couple month olds).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by