My amerecauna roo is sick :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GardenLady03, Jan 2, 2015.

1. GardenLady03

GardenLady03 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    So I've noticed yesterday that my beautiful guy was lethargic. I've seperated him, dusted for fleas and mites. Cleaned his fluff which was pretty full of poop. He's been given electrolytes and is in a warm heated garage. He's new to my flock, we've had him maybe three weeks. What could this be? Would pasty butt make him inactive. Like not moving, barely opening his eyes. I should add that he HAS pepped up quite a bit today, walked around a little and is making noises. I'm bringing him warm oatmeal in a minute too. Any insight is appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? Has he been molting recently? Moving to a new place could expose him to a new strain of coccidiosis that he has not built up immunity to yet. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, poor appetite, diarrhea (with or without blood,) standing around puffed up or hunching with neck pulled into shoulders, and general weakness. Corid (amprollium) treats coccidiosis. Worms could be another possibility, so I would deworm him and the rest with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally for each chickens, then repeat in 10 days. It gets all chicken worms. Here are some links for Valbazen if you can't find it locally:
    http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_24&products_id=29
    http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-su...3&cadevice=c&gclid=CNHOqoLd9sICFdNj7AodpzcAYw

3. GardenLady03

May 26, 2014
    Thank you!

4. GardenLady03

May 26, 2014
    He's been moved about three weeks ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by