My americana hen broke her leg

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by astra-nomical, Dec 2, 2012.

1. astra-nomical

astra-nomical Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    TN
    I have a americana hen that I have had since 1 day old and she is now 8 1/2 months old and she along with my other hens have been roosting in one of my trees that have wisteria vines in it and I think she might have gotten tangled cause her leg is now broken. My husband went to feed the hens this morning and told me well we went to get hay and fresh feed and when I came back she was under our bird bush and not moving much. She seems to be in no pain and really docile and let me even touch all over her leg. I can hold and pet and she is fine but has a leg that she can not put on the ground. I fed and watered her and layed her in the sun. I am just worried about her, she is more of a pet than just a chicken. I call her big moma and my husband calls her Farrah cause he has the blow back feathers on the side. LOL Is there anything I can do for her? I really don't won't to lose her.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Do have pictures to make sure its broken and not just sprained?

3. astra-nomical

Mar 24, 2012
    TN
    No I don't have pics but it is right where the leg and feathers meet. It is really floopy and seems not to hurt her. She has no wounds and leans to the side. She won't even put the foot down at all it is tucked up.

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Poor thing, maybe it will heal on its own in a while, I would put the bones back in place so it can heal properly and maybe you could get her in a cage so she can heal.

5. astra-nomical

Mar 24, 2012
    TN
    Yeah I think tomorrow I will put her in a small cage and put a water bottle and dish in there. Cause the other hens keep stealing her food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by