My Americanas stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WandaFuca, May 29, 2010.

1. WandaFuca

WandaFuca New Egg

May 14, 2008
    I have two Americanas. Both are two years old and they stopped laying about six months ago. I feed them an organic layers mix, plus raw veggies like lettuce and tomatos and they eats lots of bugs and other greens when they run around. Is that the normal time frame for a hen to go through "chicken menopause"?

2. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I am definitely not an expert, but I would say no that is not normal. Is it possible they are older than two years? Could they be laying their eggs somewhere you can't see? I have a EE I was told was an Ameraucana and she lays an average of 4 to 5 eggs per week and while I would expect the production to begin to fall off after two years of laying (not two years old) I would not expect her to just stop altogether. My understanding is egg production tapers off for some time before stopping. But like I said I'm not an expert so maybe someone else who is will weigh in?
    CJ

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Are they in a closed run or can they get out and lay eggs elsewhere? No eggs in six months I would think they are hiding their eggs or maybe even eating them. Molting only lasts a few months, so even then they should have started up again.

4. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    You could put some ceramic eggs in their box, that might help them start laying in the box if there not. You could put a real egg in the box and see if it disapears. Is there yolk on the straw? Do you give them oyster shells? Is there a rooster with them?

5. WandaFuca

WandaFuca New Egg

May 14, 2008
    They're kept in a large coop with a large fenced run. I've raised them from chicks so I sure about their age.I don't think they're hiding them. I have other chickens that are laying brown eggs...so if they were eating them would they only eat the green eggs? (I don't think so.) It's strange that BOTH of the Americanas have stopped laying and not the other hens. There is a rooster with them and they have oyster shells to peck at. I'm baffled.

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by