My Americauna hen just crowed.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sicily0144, Oct 29, 2007.

1. sicily0144

sicily0144 New Egg

Jul 22, 2007
    Am I in trouble or will a hen crow once in awhile?[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Um, well, let's just say that most hens never crow.
    EDITED TO ADD: Note that I said most. Some do crow, but usually they do not.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My Golden laced Polish "hen" crowed yesterday morning. Lola is no longer Lola. We call HIM Onslo.

Sorry...I know how you feel. I didn't really want a rooster either...but we shall see how it goes

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

My condolances....what a bummer! That is why I'm afraid to name my birds!

5. lindseykoehler

lindseykoehler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    Napa, California
    I've heard my delaware hen crow 3 times now (she doesn't do it regularly). It's always very startling!

6. eaemnc

eaemnc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2007
    I read a post where a hen will crow if there aren't any roosters and it is the dominant hen in the coop.

[​IMG]

Ann

7. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I have also read that (while I was studying up on chickens before I bought any) that if you have no roosters, one hen will often become dominant and start acting like a rooster.

Cassandra

8. Midnight

Midnight New Egg

Aug 19, 2007
    GA
    How old? My Silkies just started crowing and they are 20 weeks old. I have one silver seabright that has been crowing since they were about 12 weeks old. I didn't have any idea that I had any more males until the crowing started. I feel your pain!

9. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    Quote:I heard the same thing. This may be, or it could be a roo. Give a picture of it in the "what breed or gender is this" and ask for its gender and you will probably get good results.

10. littleredhen

littleredhen New Egg

Sep 1, 2007
    Saugus, California
    I recently posted a concern that my barred rock hen began crowing a couple months ago. She is definitely a hen because she had layed eggs for most of her 6 years. She is the lead hen in the pecking order and now begins the day with a good crow-type yell. There are no roos in the flock, so I think she is just taking over the command more. It's weird, but I have come to enjoy the morning wake-up call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by