My Americauna hen just crowed.....

sicily0144

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
Am I in trouble or will a hen crow once in awhile?
jumpy.gif

My Golden laced Polish "hen" crowed yesterday morning. Lola is no longer Lola. We call HIM Onslo.

Sorry...I know how you feel. I didn't really want a rooster either...but we shall see how it goes

I read a post where a hen will crow if there aren't any roosters and it is the dominant hen in the coop.

smile.png

Ann

I have also read that (while I was studying up on chickens before I bought any) that if you have no roosters, one hen will often become dominant and start acting like a rooster.

Cassandra

How old? My Silkies just started crowing and they are 20 weeks old. I have one silver seabright that has been crowing since they were about 12 weeks old. I didn't have any idea that I had any more males until the crowing started. I feel your pain!

Quote:
I heard the same thing. This may be, or it could be a roo. Give a picture of it in the "what breed or gender is this" and ask for its gender and you will probably get good results.

I recently posted a concern that my barred rock hen began crowing a couple months ago. She is definitely a hen because she had layed eggs for most of her 6 years. She is the lead hen in the pecking order and now begins the day with a good crow-type yell. There are no roos in the flock, so I think she is just taking over the command more. It's weird, but I have come to enjoy the morning wake-up call.

Back
Top Bottom