my americauna keeps escaping from the fenced garden area, has anyone used the silver hallogen tape a

michelleh2294

Chirping
Apr 9, 2017
my americana keeps fyling out of the fenced area 8-10 ft high, has anyone tried the silver hallogen tape attatched to the high part of the fence to distract them from wanting to get out,,,just wondering if this might work

I haven't used that, but I have had flying problems in the past. I just clipped their wings. You also could put both netting over the top of the fence.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Funny, out of the many, many breeds I have my Easter Eggers are the ones that are always roaming as far and wide as they can. And 2 of them insist on hiding their nest. :he To be honest, I'm considering it as a reason to possibly cull them from my flock. Meaning re home.

We ended up clipping wings. With one wing clipped she could still make it over a 4 foot fence verses the original 6 foot fence. Did a close bilateral clipping of both wings and it solved the issue of her going over fences. Also had to do a close bilateral on a male.

Good luck!

I have read that a wire attached with screws along the top of the fence will make it so they have no firm landing spot and deter flying to top of fence.

Good luck

Gary

That has not been my experience in reality. A few of my birds jump onto and even perch on VERY wobbly stuff. And have zero issues using something wobbly to assist them in getting over. Yes, even the single wire in some cases. I read the same thing, but I have to wonder where it came from... the birds will perch on arms as we move around all goofy like to see them try to stay on. Plus many tree branches they get on are flimsy and bend or sway in the wind. :)

Put deer netting over the top & be done with it.
That's a good idea, if we are talking about a small area. :)

For my hens, the majority of 1 acre could not be covered with that stuff, even just the fences. For my rooster pen, it would need major infrastructure to support the weight, keeping it from drooping too low so I can still mow, and spread it appropriately. Which is why for the roosters my end solution was electrifying my fence.

That being said, I am more familiar with bird netting than deer. I would think deer netting might spread better, and be stronger.. but also heavier. :confused:

If the area you're trying to contain them in is large, then I would go with the suggestion to clip the wings.

If it's not too large, try stringing thin wire in parallel lines from fence to fence, about 2 feet apart. At my workplace, they had a problem with seagulls and pigeons on the roofs so they strung the wire and it worked good until some of it fell down. I would imagine wire is cheaper then bird or deer netting.

That's what makes deer netting so versatile. It is 7 feet wide by 100 ft long and costs maybe $25. It is to keep flying predators out & chickens in. It can be wrapped around trees and go across areas as wide as 100 feet without piecing it together. It does sometimes go down in snow, but only with a heavy wet one & usually only the edges are ripped & it can be hung back up. I have used mine for 10 years or more. I have another net that is 25 by 50 ready to put up, but I still think deer netting works better. Don't know how anyone lives with an uncovered run. Not sure how I will even put up the larger net. Whatever works for you.

Back
Top Bottom