my americauna wont lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n2h20, Dec 30, 2008.

1. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    so i have had 3 of my girls for 7-8 months now 1 is a barred brahma one is a RIR mix of some sort,,, she is black but looks like a RIR, these two have been laying regularly an egg a day or so. my americauna... Hawk, squats, sits in the empty nest, comes out and free ranges and puts her self back in like she wants to lay an egg,, she will sit in there for 30 minutes and come out,,,, but no egg? she likes to hang out in the coop, not always in the nest box, but near them,, Whats up with her? is she broody? does this breed take longer? Anything i can do besides wait?

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i dont know but I have a 7 month old EE who I dont think is laying. I have a pink egg I dont know who it belongs to but I dont think its her. I dont know, Im just going to wait till warmer weather and the girls start up regular laying.

3. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    oh yeah,, layer feed 24/7 fresh water, free range 2-8 hours a day, fresh veggies often with scraps of whatever else. oyster shells available, sunflower seeds daily, temps in the 50-70's sunny, warm coop.... all the goodies,,,, no eggs!!!!

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to worry I have 34 weekers and no eggs from them yet. Has her comb and wattles gotten redder yet?

Also EE can lay, pink,brown,blue,green,olive colored eggs.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I need to join this group of frustrated EE owners...mine isn't laying yet either...I'm wondering if EE's are just late bloomers or something. My BR's are egg machines.

6. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    im just curious what color her eggs will be,,,
    she is my friendliest chick so she is safe.... but i want a colored egg dang nabbit,,,,

7. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    oh yeah and her comb and waddles are reddererererer than they used to be,, red as the other chicks, hmm ill just wait,, i guess....

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have an EE that hasn't layed in a month and a half. My others are laying fine. She won't even go near the nesting boxes anymore. She was laying about 4 a week. She is 10 months old.

9. nychicks

nychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    I have two 1.5 year old araucana/ameracuana hens. I have not found them to be very reliable egg layers unlike my barred rock and RIR's. When they first began laying eggs I would get probably 3/week. Then one went broody and I didn't get any blue eggs for 6 months. I think that one of them has NEVER layed an egg. She also sits in the nest boxes at least a few times and week and jumps out after about 30 minutes with nothing left behind.
    I guess they are just not very reliable????
    I also find them to be more difficult than the barred and RIR chickens. One of them has an issue with "running away". Often times I go outside to find my chickens and this one is missing for sometimes hours at a time. She tends to wander off in the large field by herself across the street. Its a wonder she has yet to be eaten! They are quite the characters but definitely not the easiest of breeds!

10. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I have an araucana/ameracuana that just started laying....She is 8 months old and is laying small light brown eggs almost white. I was hoping for blue, green or something close.....Does anyone else have one laying eggs that color......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by