1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Americauna's vent is swollen, red, and a little stinky... WHAT IS GOING ON???!?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengrl87, Aug 1, 2013.

1. chickengrl87

chickengrl87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    My sweet little Gabbi has a weird vent issue! What is going on? Any suggestions. I don't have a whole lot of money at the moment. So what is a good home remedy. I am worried that maybe an egg cracked in her? My hound scared her the other day while she was trying to lay an egg. Do you think this is what is happening?

2. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Could you post a picture? Give some details about what is going on with her vent? Color changes, discharge, swollen?

3. chickengrl87

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    [​IMG]

4. chickengrl87

Jan 26, 2013
    Enumclaw, WA
    Is red and seems swollen. Doesn't look normal at all! Has a discharge but I can't tell if its poop... I had a chicken a few months ago die. Her vent and abdomen was VERY swollen and she acted very lethargic. I tried soaking her epson salts and fed her yogurt. I was hoping that whatever Goldie had didn't get transferred to my other hens. Gabbi is one of my original girls. She is so sweet. I would be absolutely heart broken if she dies :( Should I soak her in epson salts? I did spray vetericyn would cleaner in her vent. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by