My ancona stopped laying.

fowl father

Hatching
5 Years
May 16, 2014
I purchased an ancona about six weeks ago and she started laying for me after two days. She laid for five days after and then she just stopped and hasn't laid since! Also, her comb has shrunk dramatically and her lobes have turned yellowish. She seems fine in every other way, eating, scratching and exploring. I've watched her closely to see if she has been laying in the hedge but I really don't think so.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry about your bird. Have you wormed your flock recently? This is always the first thing that comes to mind if birds stop laying and the comb shrivels and turns pale.

Here is a thread on why chickens can stop laying. Maybe you can glean some info here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

You might also post this in our emergency section for help with this. This could escalate into something much larger...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with this bird. I hope you can get her back to laying soon!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! It sounds like something is wrong with her, judging by the changes in her comb and lobes, but it doesn't ring a bell for me. Better post in the emergencies/diseases section and ask. Hope she's o.k. and will resume laying soon!

I haven't wormed my flock (I'm new to this game although we used to have a dozen or so hens when I was younger), that's something I will get done now.
Thanks for the help and links!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice and links above. Do you know how old she is? Do check her over really well if you can find anything wrong (how is her body condition, does she feel thin? One other thing with Anconas, they are fairly touchy birds and moving her may have thrown her into molt, see if she is losing feathers or has pin feathers coming in etc.

Welcome to BYC. It is not unusual for a hen to stop laying after moving to a new home, but they generally lay 1 or 2 eggs and then stop for a bit. If she is acting normally in all other aspects, I am going with the thought that she has stopped because of the stress of moving to a new environment.

Well I was told her when I purchased her that she was about six or seven months old, she looks older. And yes, she does seem to be losing a few feathers, particularly her long tail feathers.
I can see what you mean when you say touchy, she's very timid, yet she has a tendency to boss the others!

Thank you Broody Magician, and yes, I realise that, but she has been here for about six weeks and, as I said, her comb has shrunk, her lobes have turned yellow and she appears to be losing some feathers.

Back
Top Bottom