My anorexic chickens...

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
I have 4 hens. They have all of a stuff on stopped eating their layer crumble. They will still eat their favorites, but they are not fans of their food all of a sudden. It has been unusually cold here in California recently, can the cold make them stop eating their crumble?? I give them Kings layer crumble. They seemed to be enjoying it up until recently. They have been wormed, they are due again the end of January, combs red, no discharge. 2 of them havnt laid in a month and the other 2 just recently stopped laying.

Any body ever have this problem??

They get a handful of scratch in the morning, and normally they inhale it. These past couple of days they have finished it off.

Like I said it has been really cold here...well cold for California. ;)

My flock went through that same behavior last winter during a nasty cold spell. I couldn't entice them to eat their feed, no matter what I did to it. I even took away all scratch and scraps, and they still wouldn't eat it. They were loosing condition. Finally, I called the feed store, and even though the bag of feed looked and smelled just fine, I took it back. They gave me full credit, and I brought home a bag of multi-flock. They immediately started eating this new feed, and regained their lost condition.

My flock went through that same behavior last winter during a nasty cold spell.  I couldn't entice them to eat their feed, no matter what I did to it.  I even took away all scratch and scraps, and they still wouldn't eat it.  They were loosing condition.  Finally, I called the feed store, and even though the bag of feed looked and smelled just fine, I took it back.  They gave me full credit, and I brought home a bag of multi-flock.  They immediately started eating this new feed, and regained their lost condition.  

I keep my feed in an air tight container too. I'm not sure what they are doing. Multi-flock?? Is that more protein?? Did you ever figure out why it started? Was it because it was cold?

Multi-flock is a higher protein feed... I think it's about 20%. No, I never figured out why they starved/didn't eat the previous bag. but just as soon as I supplied the new bag, they started eating like crazy. Previously, when I brought the other feed out, they'd swarm the feed dish, taste it and back off. Again, it smelled and looked fine, was stored inside in a closed container, was not old...

If your hens have stopped laying, perhaps they don't need the calcium-loaded layer feed. Also, I have noticed my flock cuts back considerably on food intake during extreme cold spells.

If you're at the end of a bag of layer, why not try some Flock Raiser or another all-purpose flock feed? Higher in protein, lower in calcium. Keep oyster shell available. I think you will see them eat more.

If your hens have stopped laying, perhaps they don't need the calcium-loaded layer feed. Also, I have noticed my flock cuts back considerably on food intake during extreme cold spells.

If you're at the end of a bag of layer, why not try some Flock Raiser or another all-purpose flock feed? Higher in protein, lower in calcium. Keep oyster shell available. I think you will see them eat more.

I think I might....they need something, I pick them up and their crops are pretty much empty. They are not laying and they need to eat!! Thanks for the help. I will try to find a place that is opened today to get some flock raiser.

It's normal for hens to take a break from laying during the shortest days of winter. They don't need added calcium during this period. And additional protein will help their bodies re-condition during this spell.

Layer feed is an intensive high calcium formula mainly formulated for commercial layers whose bodies never take a break from laying. Our pet egg layers simply are not in this category. This is why I quit feeding layer feed years ago, and now just feed Flock Raiser to everyone in the flock regardless of age or laying status. It's just so much simpler this way, with oyster shell provided for those who still need extra calcium. It removes all the guess work.

It's normal for hens to take a break from laying during the shortest days of winter. They don't need added calcium during this period. And additional protein will help their bodies re-condition during this spell.

Layer feed is an intensive high calcium formula mainly formulated for commercial layers whose bodies never take a break from laying. Our pet egg layers simply are not in this category. This is why I quit feeding layer feed years ago, and now just feed Flock Raiser to everyone in the flock regardless of age or laying status. It's just so much simpler this way, with oyster shell provided for those who still need extra calcium. It removes all the guess work.

Hmmm interesting. Does too much calcium hurt them eventually? Do you know the protein percent? Any recommendations for a good flock raiser?

Is flock raiser a different name for chick starter?

Last edited:
If you buy chick starter or grower, be sure it's not medicated. Multi flock or flock raiser is never medicated. There will be a difference in the percentage of protein and fat between them.

Back
Top Bottom