my anxiety is rising

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sourland, Sep 23, 2011.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Headline in the local paper reads: "Unregistered kennels for dogs concerns ******* township. Kennels are not a permitted use in my township. I moved here 46 years ago and set up on 11 + acres to carry on my hobby of field trial beagling. In 46 years there has never been a complaint about my arrangement. When I raise a litter (4 in the past 4 years), it is to obtain pups to carry on a blood line. I do not sell dogs. I find homes for those that do not suit my needs. Now I find myself being lumped in with rescue groups and back yard for sale breeders who are causing problems for their neighbors. The proposed solution is to limit the number of dogs that may be maintained and licensed at one site and to restrict the manner in which dogs may be maintained. Why must I be restricted becaused of the problems caused by others? Whatever happened to addressing the problem on a direct basis - go after those causing the problems.

Many of my dogs are 'veterans' who have made their championships. They have never been bred or are too old to breed but have served me well. They are outdoor dogs and all are intact. I am making lists- who is essential, who is expendable, who do I care for the most, who will have to be euthanised? How can I make these decisions???? I spoke to our AC agent who assures me that, "We are not after you. We are going for those who are causing problems." Well, do that then! Don't pass restrictive regulations that will force me to make the decisions that I am facing.

I love my home, my dogs, the sport that I have participated in for over 55 years. Perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily, but my anxiety is rising.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    awwww I'm sorry! Hopefully they won't go through with it or will amend it enough that it won't effect you.

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

1 person can ruin it for everyone. Hope things pull in your favor.

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I think the all encompassing rules are not what needs to be done...it needs to be case by case...leave the good guys alone and nail the bad guys to the floor...it is not a one size fits all world and never has been...why is that so hard to understand?

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I am sorry you are going thru this. It is unfortunate we have to go thru this because of other peoples stupidity.
    I say "we" because the chickens are also looked down upon.
    All the while, these morons are allowed to have children without any regulations. What gives?
    I wish you luck, Roberta

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I would look for a grandfather exemption. If raising beagles is part of your livelihood then they can't just make it illegal on you.

On a side note. My dad used to hunt beagles and had some large framed drawings called the beaglers prayer.

God give me grace to own a hound so true that even I
    In speaking of him afterward will never have to lie.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Part of my livelihood? [​IMG] I would not dare to try and figure how much I have spent traveling with, caring for, feeding, and trialing these dogs. They are my passion. I do not sell them.

Love the houndman's prayer. It is so true.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi sour, sorry you are caught in the web.

Since the AC person said you and you operation are not on the target list, it may well be a good plan to ask about being grandfathered. As for a business - as far as I know, there's no law against running a business at a huge loss!

Hope you can figure it out without losing any of your dogs.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] Hopefully you will be grandfathered in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by