My apple tree arrived broken in half!

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I ordered a fancy 5 in 1 apple tree that is supposed to bear 5 different apple types, so it’s producing all season. I waited 2 months to get my order and it comes in a big blue bag, there’s someone’s junk mail in with it, just the worst! But since it wasn’t in a box, it broke! The whole top where all the branches are is broken off, I now have an approx 36 inch tall trunk, about the diamerter of a nickel, and one small branch up top. I’ve emailed the customer service, and didn’t even receive confirmation I sent in a ticket, and I called and the number is constantly busy. I haven’t heard a busy signal in like 20 years. I assume I’m screwed as far as a replacement goes, is there hope this one will grow? Last year my dog dug up my new roses twice, chewed all the thorns off, and ran around the yard with them like he was carrying a stick. It took a while but they rooted and grew. I’m hoping there’s hope for my apple tree, it was like $50-60 of I remember ☹️

Such a downer that you cannot even get in contact with the seller.
I ordered the roses from a place last year and they took forever to arrive but they came. When I got the order book this year, I thought it was the same place, but I guess I just got on a mailing list. I ordered the apple tree, some blueberries and some ground cherries, the apple tree cost as much as everything else combined, I landscaped a corner of my yard for it, I put down border stones and mulch, and now I have no tree to put there, and all the other places, including the one I had meant to order from, are sold out.

Looking at it closely, I can see how some of the broken off branches are clearly different color than others.

Unfortunately how they make those is by grafting on the different varieties. I doubt it will recover and if it does it won't produce multiple varieties.

:(
I’m gonna put it in a big pot and see if I can get it back to life, then I’ll try to give it away. I put a lot of work into where I want the tree to go, I’m gonna reorder the right kind from somewhere else, maybe next year if I can’t find it in stock.

Is anything left attached to the trunk from the broken branches?
One small stick is still attached, at best I would have 1 variety. But the top broken part has lots of branches, I read that I can try to reroot it in moist soil from the branch. So I cut a fresh slice from the bottom, and I stuck the branch in a pot of potting soil and I put it out in indirect sun, I’ll take it in at night because it’s cold still, and I’ll hope for the best, at least it gives me something to do. I’ll plant the stupid trunk with 1 branch and see if it grows as well.

Back
Top Bottom