1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Araucana & Ameraucana eggs! Now with PICS ;)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Guitartists, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I candled some eggs tonight... The Ameraucanas went in the bator on the 16th and the Araucanas on the 17th [​IMG] So far so good [​IMG] I did have one Araucana egg that I candled that had a loose air cell... and it is probably scrambled, but I will leave it a few day more just in case . I was worried as it was the first Araucana egg I candled tonight.... but, I'm happy, no ecstatic to report that the following 4 Araucana eggs I candled had little chickies growing in them! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And the Ameraucanas look fabulous! I only candled about 5 but they all had growth! [​IMG]

I have one lone Welsummer egg... and it appears to have a loose air cell, not holding out much hope for it, but who knows [​IMG]

Please send me good incubating vibes! I hope these little guys and gals keep growing! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    That's awesome!!! [​IMG]

Who did you get your Araucana eggs from?

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Wonderful! Good luck [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I got my Araucanas from hinkjc [​IMG]

I'm so excited about them! I hope I get a tufted roo [​IMG] I already have a name picked out for him [​IMG] They remind me of oldtime cowboys... with big ole mustaches.... As soon as I get the right roo... his name shall be Wyatt Earp! LMAO My DH's FAVORITE western movie EVER!!!! [​IMG] And the hens shall be, Big-nose Kate and I haven't picked any past that... I'll have to rewatch the movie... come to think of it, those rumpless butts remind me of those bussled dresses! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And if I get two roos, there will have to most certainly be a Doc Holiday [​IMG] And I HOPE HOPE HOPE it will be a duckwing [​IMG] hehehehehe

5. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Ha ha, that's an awesome name for a tufted roo!

Take lots of pics of the babies when they hatch, I wanna see them!

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh I WILL! [​IMG] Your website is fantastic Anne! I love looking at all of those photos [​IMG] Your Duckwings are just so pretty. [​IMG] I joined your mailing list too. Do let me know when you have some eggs available! [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck Ang..sounds like everything is going well. I have an araucana hatch in progress. They weren't due till today, but I already have a black, a blue and 3 whites hatched. [​IMG] So eggciting! I hope your hatch is great. [​IMG]

Jody

8. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Quote:Awwwww, thanks! I am lucky enough that Duckwing colors tend to be very prevalent in my flock. I'll definitely send out an email notice when I put some eggs up for sale! [​IMG]

Keep us updated on your hatch!

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I candled just now.... my remaining Welsummer was a bust [​IMG] I have 9 eggs that don't appear to be doing anything [​IMG] I think maybe they are scrambled... but I will give them a few more days to be sure...some of them had very thick, dark shells. But, everyone else looks GREAT! Little peeps inside them [​IMG] 7 of which are little Araucanas! [​IMG] Can you guys tell me.... if a lethal double tufted gene is present.... at which stage do they die or fail to grow? Do they not develop period?? Or do they die sometime during incubation?

10. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Being homozygous for tufts can kill them at any point during incubation, but the most prevalent time is between days 18-21. Sometimes even after pipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by