1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Araucana hatchlings PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hinkjc, Feb 12, 2008.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I only hatched 5 out of 8 for my first try of the season on my white araucana eggs, which are always a challenge. One I know died from the lethal tuft gene and 2 eggs remain unhatched, altho I don't hold much hope for them and am pretty sure they are tufted, but will check tomorrow to see what happened.

I have 3 definites that hatched with tufts (2 are nice thick tufts and 1 has small tufts). Here are some pics of them.

In this first pic, you can see the nice tuft on the chick in the front standing..

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see the tuft on the chick in the back laying down (peeking)..

[​IMG]

I will see if I can get better pics once they are fluffed up better. I have a silkie hatch due on Thursday, so will post more pics with them as well. [​IMG]

Jody

2. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    Is this the chickens that lay the colored eggs? I heard they are low in Cholestrol. I would like to have some.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Congrats!! [​IMG] They are adorable!

4. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Jody, Hey are your Araucana's bantams or standards? Nice babies am waiting on my first one to hatch this coming weekend.

James

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They are cuties.

Jody.....Should I have checked the 2 that made it to the end, but didn't hatch for the tufts? They looked like full term, but I didn't look for the tufts.

6. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I can't beleive how the tuff stick out this early! Make's me want some. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing your pics!
    Sylvia

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    They are really great looking chicks. MikelJohn the eggs are exactly the same as other eggs just blue or green if you are looking for blue or green egg layers and not a rare breeds that can be hard to hatch or expenisve get Easter Egger's.

Henry

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    they are so cute!! congrats!

9. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    Quote:My mother-n-law keeps asking me to get the chickens that lay the colored eggs. She told me it was a rare breed. So I will probably try to find me some. But I need experience raising hatchlings first. Thanks!

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Is this the chickens that lay the colored eggs? I heard they are low in Cholestrol. I would like to have some.

Yes, they lay blue and green eggs. The low cholesterol deal is a myth..not true. They are just like any other egg in my opinion, just a different colored shell.

James - mine are standards..good luck with your hatch.

Katy - the lethal gene is what makes these guys so tough to hatch. It's not necessary to check your eggs, but I like to know what can cause losses at hatch especially from these pens, so I know if I need to change something from a breeding perspective.

Sylvia - yup, those tufts are pretty obvious..especially the thick ones. The one chick I almost missed her tufts, but they are small and easier to see when they fluff out.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I just love hatching these because of the miracle in getting them to hatch and then to get to see if they have tufts and are rumpless or both. They are always a lot of fun.

I just got done moving my silkies to the hatcher..hoping this hatch goes well altho I am having some humidity issues, so we'll see. [​IMG]

Jody​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by