My Araucana is not laying any more!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mahaliamcg, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mahaliamcg

Mahaliamcg New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi everyone
    I am just hoping someone can help me with my araucana woes. She is my only Araucana so I can't really compare her to any of my other chickens.

Basically, she had started laying in about october/november- and then by christmas was broody. She was broody for at least 5-6 weeks and then I got excited because she was happy to leave the coop- so I assumed she was going to start to lay soon.

She started losing her feathers (and lost quite a lot- but not enough to have bald patches or anything) and hasn't started laying again.
    Is this a normal thing for Araucanas?

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
    thanks!

2. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    It's Not breed related, they don't lay when broody or moulting, once she's done moulting she will lay again. If she goes broody again and you don't want to hatch eggs then put her in a broody cage or block the nest boxes and she will go back to laying much sooner

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. DPhillips71

DPhillips71 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Wilkes county N.C.
    Yes it's normal she is molting and will not lay for a bit. Mine are also molting and not laying but after the molt period she will start laying again.

4. Mahaliamcg

Mahaliamcg New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    thank you both,
    that is great to know!
    :)

5. Mahaliamcg

Mahaliamcg New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    Ok so it's been an additional 3 weeks and still no little blue eggs!
    How long does an Araucana moult for?
    Thanks!

6. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I think mine were molting for 2 to 3 months this year...so give it some time!

7. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

Increase her protein to help her recover from the molt. I went to a 20% feed. Layer is only 16%. You can supplement with meat (or fish since she isn't laying), or scrambled eggs if you don't want to change feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by