My araucana laid a brown egg?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MEMama3, Aug 12, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I got two identical birds a week ago. I was told they were araucanas. I know the frequent label issues where you get EEs that are called araucanas. With the great price as well as the physical traits of the birds (rumpless with long tufts) I figured I could be hopeful, but wouldn't hold my breath until getting that first egg.

Yesterday the first egg arrived from one of the birds. It was torpedo shaped, felt like sand paper and had a weird powder coating on it. I get that weird eggs happen, especially during a stressful move. The part that I was up in arms about was that it was pale brown. I knew there was a chance the guy was lying, but I was still disappointed.

Today the other laid. It had a super thin shell (in fact I put my finger through it collecting it) but it's a beautiful sky blue inside and out. If I had gotten this one first, I'd say I got araucanas. With the funky brown one, I'm just confused. Why would he sell me one purebred and one mutt? Could the first bird just be having an off day? Is it possible for purebreds to lay brown?

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    No, it's not possible. Are you sure it's from your new bird and not another?

Have you posted pictures anywhere here? I don't know much about Araucanas, but I do know your description, tufts and rumpless, are correct.

3. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I know it's from the right bird because I watched her lay it. I'll try to post a pic when I get to my laptop.

4. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Are you sure your bird is a true Araucana and not an Easter Egger, (who could greatly resemble an Arauncana yet lay a brown egg.)

Where did you get her?

Is she one of the ones in your profile?

5. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I have a hen that occasionally lays a brown powder-coated egg like the one you described. Under that coating is the pale cream colored egg that is typical. Did you try to scrape off the coating to see what color egg was underneath it? Or break it open to see what the true egg color is. I think it is an excessive coating of bloom, but I am not sure.

6. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I am not positive that she is pure, but it would be odd to sell a purebred and a mutt that are identical (in my opinion). She is not the one in my profile. Still waiting to get a picture. The inside of the shell was creamy colored. Definitely not blue.

7. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    You are correct. Usually, if someone knows enough about such a rare breed, and is able to successfully breed and hatch them, (apparently Araucana are extremely hard to hatch, I've never tried), they will advertise and sell them properly.

I guess, every once in a while, there is a fluke bird who doesn't meet breed standards. Maybe you got one...

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does one bird have a straight comb?

9. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Pea comb. She still hasn't laid another egg since. It's been two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by