1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My arm as a nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggins' Dad, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Eggins' Dad

Eggins' Dad In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Springfield
    Hi all!

This is my first post.
    I wanted to start off by asking if anyone has ever been cuddling their chicken and had her lay an egg in your elbow?

My little Eggins has laid three eggs this way for me.
    She's a little over a year old now, I adopted her; she was hatched at a pre-school with her brother.
    She's an Americauna and the most loving chick Ive ever met.

2. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    For real??? Welcome to BYC!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Haha! That is too funny [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

4. Eggins' Dad

Aug 21, 2010
    Springfield
    yep each time she's done it she makes the quietest little grunts (more like breaths)

the first time it was summer and we were outside and I was wearing a tshirt and had her in the crook of my right arm.
    she started her breathing, kinda glanced up at me, then I felt a very hot 'object' materialize against my side. I thought it might be an egg, and wow it sure was!!

the other occasions I was wearing my winter hoodie, same position however. these times i didn't fel the heat, but i could feel the egg 'appear' against my side again!

I swear she knew what she was doing, and wanted to lay for me specifically...very sweet!

Now we've moved from California to Central Illinois and our housing situation dictates that she live inside.
    She proudly wears her homemade apron (diaper) everyday, bathes in a big plastic tote with mulch, lays her eggs in the shoe closet on the cats bed, and goes to sleep in her closet (not the same as her egg-laying closet) and waits to be woken up the next day...honestly she is amazing.
    Since I work at home I am able to check on her all throughout the day. She doesn't really get into trouble, and really likes her older cat brother.

5. Eggins' Dad

Aug 21, 2010
    Springfield
    thanks for the welcomes wishes! [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    How interesting! I know my Easter Egger wouldn't do that if it was her last choice. . . However my Brahmas and Ameraucanas for some reason will use my lap as a dust bath. I have no clue why, but they will jump up there, then start kicking and rolling around.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I've never seen a chicken do that, but I had a cockatiel lay an egg on my mom's head when I was a kid. [​IMG]

8. Eggins' Dad

Aug 21, 2010
    Springfield
    how funny![​IMG]
    they just really are the best!

9. Eggins' Dad

Aug 21, 2010
    Springfield
    on her head?!
    that's a combo of the perfect hair and some serious balance!

10. blueraspberry

blueraspberry In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    hahahahaha that is sooooooo funny! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by