My austrolorp chick is kinda skittish..

peanutshark

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 29, 2014
Kissimmee, fl
And I've never raised one before. I picked her out because I know they're supposed to be very friendly birds. This chick is about 2.5 weeks old and she's much more skittish than my Cochin and Wyandotte chicks. Anyone have any experience with austrolorps? Think she'll be more friendly and calm as she gets older? She's not afraid of me, but doesn't like being picked up or pet like the others do.

Australorps tend to be docile, but they can also be rather shy and skittish. It just depends on the personality of the individual bird. One of my australorps is very friendly and lets me pick her up, while two others (that I had previously) were very skittish, even as adults.

It's not unusual for skittish chicks to end up being much calmer once they start laying, so don't get discouraged. I have a welsumer that was so skittish that I thought I'd never be able to get near her, but once she started laying, she became one of my friendliest hens. Go figure!

Australorps tend to be docile, but they can also be rather shy and skittish. It just depends on the personality of the individual bird. One of my australorps is very friendly and lets me pick her up, while two others (that I had previously) were very skittish, even as adults.

It's not unusual for skittish chicks to end up being much calmer once they start laying, so don't get discouraged. I have a welsumer that was so skittish that I thought I'd never be able to get near her, but once she started laying, she became one of my friendliest hens. Go figure!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Do you think I should giver her space or handle her more? I don't want to stress her out and cause her to associate me with that, but I also want her to be used to be handled

With skittish chicks, I usually handle them a couple times a day, but if they seem really stressed I only hold them for a short period of time. I try to hold them long enough that they relax in my hands, then I put them down. As they get used to this, you can increase the time you hold them. Just be aware that some chicks will freak out no matter how often or long you hold them (this was my welsumer until she began laying!).

You may want to start slow and see if the chick will first get used to having your hand in the brooder, then add a bit of food to your hand and see if she'll get it, then progress to picking her up.

How is she now? I have two austrolorps chicks at four weeks old and they are the shyest of all mine and hardest to catch. They do like to hang out with me as long as I don't try to pick them up. If I pull weeds they crowd around me looking for goodies.

Last edited:
How is she now? I have two austrolorps chicks at four weeks old and they are the shyest of all mine and hardest to catch. They do like to hang out with me as long as I don't try to pick them up. If I pull weeds they crowd around me looking for goodies.

She's still super shy. She'll eat out of my hand and come for treats, but if I just touch her, she'll panic. And picking her up is as if she's getting eaten alive. What I think is ironic is she's the top chicken in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom