My Austrolorps claws are falling off!

Natabat6

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
I have a sweet hen who is about 4 years old and I notice that her toe nails are gone. She has about 1 left on each foot. Small amount of blood. But the poor thing can't wAlk up to the coop or roost very well. How does this happen? Is this normal? Thank you for the help!

If she walks over aviary wire or mesh regularly, or scratches along it, that can do it. Another thing that can do it is rats. They often don't prey equally on sleeping victims, they seem to pick one and make a meal of its extremities.

Also, other birds sometimes peck feet, sometimes so badly they destroy the victim. If you see any toe-pecking among yours it may be because she is now bleeding, but if you noticed it before, then that may be the cause. Another cause is possibly the hen herself. Some chickens peck their own feet, possibly due to nerve issues causing constant pain or irritation. There are a few genetic traits known to result in chickens paying negative attention to their own feet, so to speak.

Best wishes.

I have a sweet hen who is about 4 years old and I notice that her toe nails are gone. She has about 1 left on each foot. Small amount of blood. But the poor thing can't wAlk up to the coop or roost very well. How does this happen? Is this normal? Thank you for the help!
If you are in a cold area during winter, I would bet that she has suffered frostbite on her toes. They will turn black and eventually fall off--this can involve just the tips, the toes, or up to the whole foot. If you do a search at the top of the page for "frostbite in toes" you will find many pictures of this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom