My Automatic Chicken Coop Door Has Arrived

juliect

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Niota, TN
Finally! Apparently UPS felt the need to give it an extended stay in their Kansas City depot. But it is here!!

I ordered from http://chickencoopdoor.com/

Front
view with cover on....box with screws and instructions are lying on the floor in front of it...
36390_image1.jpg

Front view without cover...
36390_image2.jpg

Back view...
36390_image3.jpg

Side view...
36390_image4.jpg

It appears to be very well built. The frame seems to be made from cedar, with the door itself made from plywood. The cover over the motor and timer is made from metal.

The only thing that causes some doubts is the strength of the "string" that raises, lowers, and holds the door up. It appears delicate...but it could be tougher than it seems, time will tell.

All for now...hopefully the rain will let up soon so the guys can start cutting the holes in the pre-existing storage building, soon to be the converted Chicken Mansion. The heavy rains have really put the entire project behind schedule...sigh...my entire yard is soup.

Seems like it is very well built. The only concern I may have would be the possibility of drifting and blowing snow piling up so the door doesn't close all the way. It may leave the coop to drafty and possibly an entry way for predators. Any thoughts on this?

Questions: Can it be set with a timer or only light sensor? And if yes to the timer question, is the timer built in or is that extra cost??? Thanks!! And definitely let us see it installed and let us know what you think about it then...

Sorry for the delay...phew life got BUSY.

Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions.

1. Snow - In the southern part of East Tennessee, snow accumulation is not a problem. Two inches of snow is considered a blizzard
big_smile.png
It snows once or twice a year here, so I don't really have the experience to correctly answer that question.

2. Timer - This unit is sold & shipped with a timer and the timer IS included in the price. I have seen other doors that are setup to operate with a light sensor...but considering a few of my hens are stubborn and don't go up until AFTER sunset, time was more important to me then light...just to make sure no one gets locked out.

Now if I can just get the carpenters back on the job...they were ready to work while it was raining, but now that it has stopped they are MIA.

36390_image5.jpg

If a string lifts the door up Couldn't a coon lift it up too? Or does something eles hold it shut??

Back
Top Bottom