1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Automatic Chicken Coop Door Has Arrived

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by juliect, Oct 15, 2009.

1. juliect

juliect Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Finally! Apparently UPS felt the need to give it an extended stay in their Kansas City depot. But it is here!!

I ordered from http://chickencoopdoor.com/

Front
    view with cover on....box with screws and instructions are lying on the floor in front of it...
    [​IMG]

Front view without cover...
    [​IMG]

Back view...
    [​IMG]

Side view...
    [​IMG]

It appears to be very well built. The frame seems to be made from cedar, with the door itself made from plywood. The cover over the motor and timer is made from metal.

The only thing that causes some doubts is the strength of the "string" that raises, lowers, and holds the door up. It appears delicate...but it could be tougher than it seems, time will tell.

All for now...hopefully the rain will let up soon so the guys can start cutting the holes in the pre-existing storage building, soon to be the converted Chicken Mansion. The heavy rains have really put the entire project behind schedule...sigh...my entire yard is soup.

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Way Cool!

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Seems like it is very well built. The only concern I may have would be the possibility of drifting and blowing snow piling up so the door doesn't close all the way. It may leave the coop to drafty and possibly an entry way for predators. Any thoughts on this?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Questions: Can it be set with a timer or only light sensor? And if yes to the timer question, is the timer built in or is that extra cost??? Thanks!! And definitely let us see it installed and let us know what you think about it then...

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thats pretty cool!

Does it open when it sences something, or does it open when and/or close when you program it to?

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Can you please take a close up pic of the motor and timer. I'd like to see how they set that up.

7. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Ditto

8. juliect

juliect Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Sorry for the delay...phew life got BUSY.

Let me see if I can answer everyone's questions.

1. Snow - In the southern part of East Tennessee, snow accumulation is not a problem. Two inches of snow is considered a blizzard [​IMG] It snows once or twice a year here, so I don't really have the experience to correctly answer that question.

2. Timer - This unit is sold & shipped with a timer and the timer IS included in the price. I have seen other doors that are setup to operate with a light sensor...but considering a few of my hens are stubborn and don't go up until AFTER sunset, time was more important to me then light...just to make sure no one gets locked out.

Now if I can just get the carpenters back on the job...they were ready to work while it was raining, but now that it has stopped they are MIA.

[​IMG]

9. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    If a string lifts the door up Couldn't a coon lift it up too? Or does something eles hold it shut??

10. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    hhmmm I feel a project coming on. Wonder when I can find the pulley/motor for the string. Is there a product/manufactor name on the white pulley?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by