My Babies and a Boiled Egg!!! (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollymh, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    My babies, Natalie, Bo and Jelly-Bean had a boiled egg for the first time yesterday, it was very cute, they didn't know what to think and they kept running back & forth to me, then the egg and back again lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my baby girl Natalie, she is my first born and the sweetest chicken I have ever seen, my neighbors love to come play with her lol Thier chickens aren't so sweet...

2. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Very cute, I gave mine some treats today and they loved them!!

3. robyncorrine

robyncorrine Out Of The Brooder

Your babies are adorable.
    I always find it funny that chickens like to eat eggs.
    [​IMG]

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I'm not sure I would do that with laying hens. Once they get a taste for eggs, they can be very destructive.

I'm not sure though if boiled eggs would contribute to an egg-eating habit though... Maybe someone else can chime in.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Boiled eggs are just fine [​IMG] Raw eggs....obviously not!

Cute little birdies!

6. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Thanks for replying!

That's nice to know. I've always avoided feeding my chicks eggs because I was afraid I was teaching them to like the taste of egg.

7. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I've heard that if you give your chickens boiled eggs, make sure to peel them first, otherwise they will get to like the taste of the shells and will eat their own eggs.[​IMG] I could be wrong though. Does anyone else know?

8. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I have always given my girls an occasional raw egg, shell and all...they have NEVER broke and eaten an egg on their own. They love the shell, and its good for them.

9. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:I have no idea, I did however peel the egg and throw the shell in the yard away from them, but I didnt get all of it off and the chickies didn't like the shell... That could be beucase of the egg dye hahahaha

10. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:I do the same thing. I also get a raw egg and mix it in with some laying feed and its gone in 3 minutes max.

The egg gives them protein and the shell gives them back some of the calcium that it took to make the egg shell. Sometimes I think they don't realize that its there eggs that your eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by