My Babies and their bathtub brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebirdgirl, Jun 23, 2008.

1. thebirdgirl

thebirdgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northeast, MA
    So I received my babies last week and can't believe how totally, completely cute they are!! I can just sit there watching them play all day. My favorites are my mottled houdans and my Salmon favorelle. They are so sweet and snuggly and I love watching them sleep. The mottled houdans sleep straight on there bellies with the legs out behind them and necks all stretched out. It freaked me out the first few times I saw them because I thought there was something wrong. After waking them up a few times I realized that is how they like to sleep! I turned my bathtub into a brooder for them (I have two bathrooms [​IMG] ) and it works perfect. I hope they don't outgrow it before they can go out to the coop. Here are a few pictures: Too cute!!!
    [​IMG]

Sleeping babies
    [​IMG]

My favorite girls!
    [​IMG]

Checking out the new digs
    [​IMG]

Curious chickie- she loves the camera!
    [​IMG]

2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    What a bunch of cuties!![​IMG]

3. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. this is great.
    Question: so you don't think it's a bad idea to move them to the coop before the 4 or 5 weeks is up?

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My DH, while he is accepting of my chickens, would just flip if I ever put chickens in the bathtub, the basement is the limit of birds in the house. [​IMG]

Cute babies.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Chicks must be kept warm right on till they are about 12 to 14 weeks old and they have all their downy feathers replaced. It is terrible hard to keep anywhere outside warm enough for them. I kept mine in a ref. box the last 4 weeks and the dust in my home was horrible. If you have a building or basement you will need to get them out after about 4 weeks at the most. I had 6 that outgrew my bathtub home very quickly. Good luck with your little fuzzy butts. jean

6. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    what kind of chicken is the one with the poofy feathers on top? that one is really adorable

7. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Awwwwwwww! They are soooooo cute. I want one. [​IMG]

8. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Darling babies! Your brooder is awesome! What a great idea.

9. thebirdgirl

thebirdgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northeast, MA
    The one with the poofy head feathers is Sazon, he's a Golden Polish. He's grown into a big handsome boy- I wanted to get rid of him for a while because when he hit puberty, he was really mean to my girls. Since then he's settled down and takes excellent care of them. I miss having the little babies around though, they are sooooo cute![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by