My Babies are 3 Months Old :-) Lots of photos!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RaeRae2, Jun 5, 2012.

1. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Songster

Nov 28, 2011
    Here are some photos of my baby birdies! They are just a little over 3 months old now. I ordered them from McMurray, and split the requirement of 25 minimum with a friend. There were 17 that I kept. 1 was taken by a hawk while we were trying to get our outdoor run finished, but 16 of them are nearing maturity now!

They are SO SWEET, and mostly tame. Every night I sit with them and most of them let me pick them up and hug them. Penny, the Ancona, flies up and sits on my shoulder every day. The one Dark Cornish, Vader, is mentally........um.........challenged.......[​IMG]but I absolultely adore her! She is such a honey! Every morning she RUNS to me as fast as she can so I can pick her up.

The 3 Hamburgs, Silver, Phoenix, and Lacey, are the only ones who have gotten a little bit flighty as they matured. But if I move slowly, they will let me touch their chest feathers. Just can't pick them up.

I ended up with one rooster - a Dark Brahma, and he was my free mystery chick. He needs a name!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dear sweet Vader:
    [​IMG]

And here is the new run we built for them to keep the hawks at bay. It is roofed with heavy duty bird netting on half, and a solid steel roof on the other half.
    [​IMG]

This is how they started off:
    [​IMG]

2. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Songster

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    What are those speckled chicks?
    That is a pretty nice run you have for you chickens. They are so lucky[​IMG]

3. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Songster

Nov 28, 2011
    The black and white speckled ones are Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and also there is an Ancona in there. She is also black and white, but mostly black.

4. Suzierd

Suzierd Crowing

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I love your run! And you chickens are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! They even have a tree for shade! Wonderful chicken home!

6. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Songster

Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks guys!! We have been working hard on this run. Not toally finished yet though! We want to put in a stone walk and more landscaping. They have a roof over half of the run so they have lots of shade. I have a fan set up too for the really hot days. They have a roost pole under the roof, although they go inside the barn to their coop at night. They do like to sit on the pole during the day though and nap!

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    What a great set up! That must have been tons of work. Since you have a dark chicken named Vader what about naming your rooster Darth?

8. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Songster

Nov 28, 2011
    LOL! You know what? My other Dark Cornish is named Darcy for that same reason. [​IMG]Since they are both girls I went with Darcy and Vader versus Darth and Vader.

I just can't come up with something for the one and only boy. Hmmm.

9. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Luke? Hans? R2? Obi 1? Ooh, I like Obi 1 :)

10. Egg Lover

Egg Lover In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    SW Lower Michigan
    Beautiful flock, and a great run for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: