1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies are 5 weeks old--pics

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Judymae, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Here are a few of my barred rocks, golden campines, ameracuna ? or the other one, and my silkie. They are all 5 weeks old today! My babies are getting too big!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Judymae.............how cute [​IMG] what is the one with the gold on her head? the golden I would assume.......really like how she looks. my little barred rocks are just a couple weeks old.cant wait to see them grow up....they got out of the babie house today and hung around with the big dogs.by sundown they were trying to jump up the the high roost.......got mad when I put them back in safe hen house !

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I love the color of your silkie! All of your chicks look really happy. [​IMG]

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    They are really lovely...
    You KNOW they're gonna expect to come in the house now when ever they feel like it! [​IMG]

5. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I'm so worried about having them in the house this long. I've been able to keep the odor down by changing the brooder 2x a day. But with the rain here I'm afraid they would just float away. We got over 5 inches yesterday! 3-5 more expected today! We need a boat!

Okiechick-the gold headed one is a golden campine. She is so funny to watch. I got 2 of them and they are the first to escape the brooder everytime. I ordered them because you don't see them around as often. I don't know if they are rare but they are different!

Heidi-the silkie is a blue silkie. Poor little thing is feathering out so slowly compared to the others. Looks like it has a mohawk right now. I ordered it just to see. I think I want more!

Hopefully the rain will end one day and the babies will be able to go outside!!!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Your Golden Campine is gorgeous, as all of them are! Wish I had these pics of her to compare a few weeks ago when I was curious about whether my precious little Goldie Hawn was actually more of a Gordon Hawn. His comb was twice as big and starting to redden at just 3 weeks!

We should set them up on a date [​IMG]

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Adorbale, chick pictures always make me want more..So far DH didn't notice the two new additions yesterday [​IMG]

8. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Jsto-I'd never seen a golden campine before ordering mine. I just didn't want the regular white egg layers. When I saw the pic of these I just had to have one. They are pretty. Mine are a little louder than the other chickies. Are yours? How many do you have? Did you want the roo? I was worried at first with their combs. Their combs are twice as big as the other breeds I have!

Sara-you sound like me. My dh is outta town for 14 days at a time and sometimes I sneak a new member into the family while he is out. He usually doesn't notice or doesn't say anything except for when I added a new dog. She is a beagle/basset mix and almost 2. That dog can be annoying. When I went to greet my dh in the driveway after being gone for 14 days that dog stood in one of the front windows barking and letting him know she was there before I could ease it on him!!!!!

Well more rain today so the babies are still in the house! [​IMG]

9. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Quote:The pictures of the golden campine hens are what got me to order. They were so pretty and unusual looking. I'd never really seen anything like it! I ordered all females, but am not put out by the fact that she is really a he at all! He's got tons of character and is shaping up to be quite the handsome boy. I only have the one and he's definitely louder than the others, but I chalked that up to him being a roo. I love hearing him with his silly little starter-crow first thing in the morning. He looks so startled when it comes out of his mouth as well...so much so that he keeps going for almost 10 minutes!

I wouldn't be worried about the combs. When trying to figure out if mine was male after all (his comb was huge and starting to redden at 3 weeks), I discovered that campines develop their combs quicker than most other breeds. Yours at 5 weeks is probably smaller and paler than his was at about 3.5 weeks. I also have to say that he is just now almost completely feathered out at 8 weeks, I believe slow feathering is a sign of a roo, whereas yours looks about on par with the others. He also had very long, thick legs and somewhat of a strut. Yours definitely looks like a hen, you lucky thing! The hens are gorgeous...they almost remind me of a pheasant.

10. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Jsto-I thought the hens were sooooo pretty too. Usually the hens are not as pretty as the roos but with the golden campines they are just as pretty. I have an americauna that looks like a golden campine! I'm sure when it gets older it won't but right now I have to look for the different colored legs and puffy cheeks to tell them apart. My golden campines are the bravest of the bunch. First to jump outta the brooder and fly to my couch! Because of all the rain out here there are flies everywhere. I let the girls out and they would talk and run to the flies. It was sooo funny. They couldn't catch them but the sure tried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by