1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies are being sent to me TODAY from Ideal CAN I DO IT??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, May 21, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

We are going early morning Friday to the PO to pick them up! I'm nervous since I am the one who has never touched a chicken or barely SEEN one before! I'm thinking...how am I going to pick them up out of their box without hurting their tiny little legs! lol I ordered DE yesterday after MONTHS of research on the darn stuff trying to buy the right stuff. THanks to Dawn's expertise I DID get the right stuff from custom milling [​IMG] 53 bucks later I got myself a 50 lb bag mailed to me...it will be here either Fri or Mon...right on time. Got my first aid box all set and ready to go, got my brooder all ready, almost got the coop done...I think I'm ready. I just don't feel ready! My stomach has been churning as I'm wondering if I"m going to be able to take care of these babies right!~ OH THE WORRY!~

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Best of luck!!!
    What's the DE for? I don't think I've read much about that.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    This is where i found my DE and its a bit cheaper. The prices say that shipping is included. you might want to bookmark it.
    Congratulations on your new babies [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!! And you're going to love being a chicken owner. It is amazingly rewarding and so addictive![​IMG]

5. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Well how about the important stuff, light brooder, baby chick feed , what will they be sleeping on?
    Waters etc. Major shopping here.

ml

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Oh the DE can be used for SO much! It's to keep flies, fleas, mites away. To help keep coop dry (sprinkle on the floor of coop) and it keeps the smell down too. It's also used to keep flies off your cats, dogs, horses...etc... It's also good for human consumption. Here is a link about it.

http://custommilling.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=27

HOpe that helps...I know I was stumped on it for a month~!

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Oh ya I got the chick starter the light the bedding the cover for the brooder all made. We are plugging in the light tonight to see about the temps and try to get it at a steady 95 degrees.

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I ordered our chicks on Monday from Ideal and am going to drive my husband crazy until they arrive mid June! And probably crazier still after that!!LOL

Will be using my horses old 100gal water trough for a brooder while hubby builds the coop and run.
    We can only have a small flock, no roosters due to where we live. But I am hoping the girls (3 Buff Orps and 1 black Cochin) enjoy it in the back yard. Figuring out who is who from the order with the packing peanuts is going to be interesting though. I will be bringing the packing peanuts to the chickenstock and any that dont get new homes there will be posted here and on craigslist.

repeating: I cant have more than 4, or 5 chickens. I cant have a rooster!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

This is where i found my DE and its a bit cheaper. The prices say that shipping is included. you might want to bookmark it.
    Congratulations on your new babies smile

Lurky...I don't see any link [​IMG] Am I missing it?​

10. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Hi HANGING WITH MY PEEPS!! I TOO WAS FEELING LIKE YOU LAST WEEKEND. I HAD NEVER EVEN TOUCHED A REAL LIVE CHICKEN BEFORE. ON MONDAY I HAD 25 CHICKS COME IN. AND NOW I AM HOOKED!!!! THEY ARE SO CUTE. THEY ARE EVERY EASY TO TAKE CARE OF. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by