My babies are dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickAddictMom, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ChickAddictMom

ChickAddictMom New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    NE IOWA
    I have 32 baby chicks, 8 different breeds in one stock tank with 2 feeders & 1 big waterer, with a 250 watt heat lamp. I work at a farm store so I've done chicken chores for years. Every other night I've lost a silver duckwing phoenix there a week old today. All I can think is I started turning the heat lamp off at night & just left a space heater on at night; the tank hasn't got below 80°. I've noticed them pecking the bedding a lot more lately, they all eat like pigs of the chick's starter. Could they be choking on the bedding??? I use a medium bedding & they are so much smaller than everyone else.. Please help I don't want to lose anymore. Thanks

2. jeanne1976

jeanne1976 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    I only use the large wood shavings. You could also just lay newspaper down for awhile until this resolves itself. We used that for 18 years growing up and never had issues. I also keep a bottle of hibiclens (at target and Walgreens) in case of poopy butt. I just dab their bottoms in warm water then smear some hibiclens on and dab off. It clears up instantly as that is a big killer. I also give them packets of electrolyte chick starter and probiotic chick starter for the first three weeks. That should boost their immunity.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Maybe some waffle weave drawerliner instead of newspapers so that they can get a grip with their feet.

2 people like this.
  4. ChickAddictMom

ChickAddictMom New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    NE IOWA
    My polish chick's I've been soaking there butts cause of poo on them but my phoenix butts look fine. I always use electrolyte in there water but I'll pick up some probiotic and large flake tomorrow. And look for some hibiclens. Thanks for suggestions.

5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't turn your heat lamp off, they need the warmth while they're so young. You should have two zones in your brooder, hot and cool. Let the chicks decide where they want to be. If they are to cold they may be huddling up and since they are smaller like you said, they may be getting smothered.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickAddictMom

ChickAddictMom New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    NE IOWA
    Never do they sleep huddled together there always spread out, maybe I'll move the heat lamp to one side of the tank cause I do see them on the outsides of the tank farthest from the light. They seem to be always furthest from the heat and others, I will try giving them 2 zones like you suggested. Thanks

7. ChickAddictMom

ChickAddictMom New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    NE IOWA
    [​IMG]

Here's my babies [​IMG] The hatchery put the blue mark on there head to help separate breeds.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Good idea.
    Pretty darn cute, they are!

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickAddictMom

ChickAddictMom New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    NE IOWA
    I ordered 5 Hatchery sent 6 and I'm down to 4 glad they sent extra. Hopefully I don't lose anymore, I really want this breed to be part of my flock, even the rooster is beautiful when full grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by