My babies are dying!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melissastraka, Mar 25, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I need some opinions from you guys. I picked up 13 Buff Orpingtons from one feed store and then I picked up 7 EE's from another. I have already lost 5 of my buffs and 2-3 more look like they are on their way out too. The EE's are in great shape and healthy and I am really happy with TSC's chicks but the ones that i bought from a local store are dying one by one. I have had problems with pasty butt and deformities. Is it wrong for me to call them and report the problem and ask to be refunded. I am not new at raising chickens and the other 60 i have are growing and are totally healthy, just these 13. What do you guys think????

Thanks

2. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    you have done this before, they are warm enough, they know where the food, water is etc, then yes i would ask for a refund

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    is the brooder 95 F (if they r day olds)?

4. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Yeah, everything is good in the brooder. The temp is between 85-90 (they are a week today), I give them fresh water 3 times a day, the waterer is on a brick so there is no contamination, they are on chick starter(non-medicated), pine shavings for bedding, no treats or foreign un-disinfected toys and they are cleaned everyday, everyone washes their hands before and after they touch them and i clean the brooders out every other day unless they are really bad or their water spills...what am i doing wrong

I also talked to the lady at TSC, cause now i have to replace the ones that I have lost and are going to lose, and they said they give them medicated starter and something medicated in their water as soon as they get them and then change the to everything i am doing. My local said they dont give them anything but regular food and water. They also dont give them the Marcks(sp?)

[​IMG]

5. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    You might check by the register at the local feed store, I know ours has it posted in plain view "no refunds on live animals"

Are they eating the litter? Maybe they are a stupid group and once one started the rest followed? Definately seclude this group and treat them as diseased until you get a better idea whats going on. Take care of them last when you do your daily rounds and do a thorough scrub down of yourself. If the EEs are in the same brooder you should probably go ahead and treat them as diseased too even if they aren't showing signs of anything. How long have you had them? Maybe the 13 just had a really rough shipment and you are still seeing deaths from that? Good luck

Oops sorry just saw your second post. I would think a week is too late for shipment issues.... that is very wierd. I guess if the EEs start dropping then you are pretty well sure its a disease. Hope its not though

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree that you should call the place you bought them - even if they won't refund your money they should know they're selling sick chicks. Sounds like the only ones that are dying are the ones you got from that place.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Do they hatch their own chicks or get them shipped in from a hatchery, here where they sell chicks they get them from ideal. Sounds to me like they just had a major trip from the hatchery to the feed store then to their final destination, that can be really hard on them too.

8. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I just called the feed store and they used lazy54 out of Oregon. Which is only 2 hours away from our home.

9. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    What else did they say? Anyone else have dead chics?

10. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    So far he said he would research the others. I just think they got a bad batch. First they were suppose to get 100 in and they only got 30! So I only got 13 out of the 25 I ordered. They split them up so everyone got "some of their orders, then they were suppose to be here on a Monday and they didnt even hatch till Tuesday so i didnt get them until that friday. I am not bashing the store or the hatchery, I just want to know that i did everything right for them. I feel so bad for these babies and it has taken a toll on my kids. It seems like every time they go into check on them, one is dead. My 5 year old wont even go look now let alone touch one because "Its gonna die anyways". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by