My babies are dying!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by callie&co., Jan 15, 2010.

1. callie&co.

callie&co. Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I just got 5 chicks yesterday. their hatch date was supposed to be the 13th. 2 Ameraucana and 3 Barred rocks. 1 Am was dead when i got her and the other died soon after. My 3 Barred rocks are not doing well. they don't eat or drink that i see and i don't know what to do. they just kind of lay around like they don't have any strength. the brooder is at about 93 degrees and they are not huddling so i don't think temp is the problem. two of the babies are panting. these are my first chicks and it kills me to see them so weak. any ideas about what i could do?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    panting = too hot, chirping = too cold.

dip their beak in water, see if they take a drink.

3. Quote:Make SURE that your brooder is 95 degree AT THE BOTTOM. Put your thermometer on the floor of the brooder and make sure the chicks have a way to get out of the heat if they want to.

You can cook your chooks, it has happened to me.

If you are using a heat lamp, be SURE that the chicks can get away from the direct heat these things give off. Put a piece of card board over your brooder at some place so they can escape to the shade should they choose to.

Put their beaks in the water and put a small amount of sugar in the water. It is very often that one MUST dip a chicks beak into the water to get them to drink and get the idea of it all.

Once the temperature, the drinking and an introduction to chick starter on paper towels is established, chicks usually thrive.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The temperatures listed for ages are only averages. Not all chicks will be happy or even survive at them. Temperatures outside the brooder seem to have some impact as well as how solid or drafty your brooder is. If they are panting and spread out from each other or crammed along the edges away from the light they are hot. Your brooder should have space for them to get away from the heat lamp or under it if they need to. Hot chicks will still peep very loudly sometimes. The best way to judge proper temperatures is how far they are under the light and you need enough space for them under or away from the light for that. Cold chicks will huddle under the light. Hot chicks will spread out as far from the center of the light as possible. Either one they will be inactive and not look for food or water. Too many days like that and they can just get too weak to try to eat or drink. You can help them by soaking chick starter in warm water and sticking their beaks in it so they eat/drink some.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    What are they on? If shavings, what kind?

Matt

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    put some sugar or electrolytes in the water, also dip their beaks a couple times a day until you see them getting a drink on their own

7. callie&co.

callie&co. Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    Lake Charles
    they are on pine shavings

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Just my opinion but seems to me they may be too warm. Also, what kind of ventilation do you have? They need heat but also plenty of fresh air. I've personally found the guidelines to be too warm. When I move mine from the incubator I have it about 88* to 90* in the brooder and I keep an eye on them. My last few hatches were their happiest at 85* and they all survived and thrived. Good luck!!!

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Try a few different thermometers. One of mine is was off by 5 degrees which can make a big difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by