My babies are dying : (

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by candyangeltwist, Jun 26, 2010.

1. candyangeltwist

candyangeltwist New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    Yesterday I picked up 17 baby chicks at the post office that shipped from Ideal. 7 are BSL packing peanuts. Today I found the smallest D'uccle dying and being stepped on. It dies then later a polish dies. The other chicks seemed to be stepping on them and running them over. I was wondering if maybe the bigger ones are stepping on them and trampling them to death? I still have some tiny chicks, a silkie, sultan, and a frizzle . Should I seperate them or will they be ok with the BSL's and EE and other larger chicks? Right now they are all together in a big storage container. [​IMG]

2. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    So far I'd say it doesn't seem like it's ok for them to be together. It may not be the causal factor but I would go ahead and put some sort of screen between the two groups, big and small. If you can make it air and sound permeable so they are not strangers that might be nice for them. Then if you have further problems at least you will know that they were weak and THEREFORE getting trampled, not dying because of getting trampled. Good luck to you, I hope it is all good from here on out.

Obviously if you separate them make sure each group has it's own water and food. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by