1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies are growing up......

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by WestKnollAmy, Jul 13, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    They are totally adorable at 4 weeks old but do not let me catch them as easily now that they have been moved out to a open air brooder with the wire bottom. They are flying around and having a blast but hate for me to catch them and love on them. But gosh, they are sooooo cute!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the one that is my odd ball. Only one this color but still lovely.

[​IMG]

I have plexiglass on one end of the brooder to protect from rain blowing into the coop but giving them light. I still need to get them a mirror that is safe.

[​IMG]

I just think they are all so pretty and fun to watch! And they are already making their little calling noises! I often hear a girl which I am surprised at hearing at only 4 weeks old. Haven't figured out which one it is yet as they all hush and look at me when I peer in at them.

[​IMG]

What am I going to do when all my little babies are grown enough to go out and play? I won't be able to catch them and love on them anymore!

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Aww, growin' so fast! Great pics!

Your "oddball" looks like a Pied Buff Dundotte to me [​IMG]

When they are all grown up and old enough to breed then you'll have some more pretty keets to love on [​IMG]

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    So how many will you have in your flock for next year? They do look adorable.

4. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I only have 11 babies right now and 2 adults out wandering the farm.
    This is my first year with Guineas though I have had chickens for many years as well as ducks, off and on.
    I just can't believe how totally cute Guinea keets are! I just wish they were more like my chicks and wanted to be petted and loved. Some of my chicks hang on my back and shoulders while I am trying to do chores and sometimes are annoying. I just wish the Guineas were not scared of me. If I had more meal worms I would be feeding them out of my hand if I could. But all of mine are beetles or tiny worms right now.

5. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    So cute guinnies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] thanks for sharing the pics

6. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:Thanks! I think back when it hatched you told me you thought it would be a buff Dundotte and being pied would be nice, too. [​IMG] I just call it an oddball because it is the only one of that color that hatched out of all the eggs I hatched for a friend and I just had to keep it! The earls and lavs are very pretty but being only one in it's color makes it rather unique to me.

I will be putting it in the breeding pen with the lavs so a predator won't get it and hopefully it is a girl and can give me great eggs![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by