My Babies Are Here! PICS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LisaJean, Nov 5, 2007.

1. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks arrived from Ideal on November 1st! They shipped on October 31st. The post office called me and asked me if I was expecting a peeping package. They got quite a lot of attention at the post office. :)

I ordered 16 chicks, and gave 8 to a local family, because I don't have room for 16.

Here are pictures!

The whole kaboodle
    [​IMG]

Wading in the water dish
    [​IMG]

My Babies
    [​IMG]

What is this stuff? Do we eat it?
    [​IMG]

My Eight Sleeping Late
    [​IMG]

As you can see in the last pic I have 2 each of White Leghorn, Production Red, Barred Rock and Ameracauna.

They are supposed to all be pullets, but I know sexing is only about 95% accurate, so i think one of the Ameracaunas might be a roo. This chick is developing very striking markings on the face, and the other Ameracauna is not.

The Ameracaunas seem quite bossy! One of them (the one I mention above) seems to be the boss. I call her "Miss Thing" for now. :)

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Nice chicks

henry

3. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Aww! They are just too adorable! Looks like you have a nice assortment.

4. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    OMGosh! There is just nothing cuter than baby chicks!!!

5. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I have named them now.

Rosie and Ruby are the Production Reds. Rosie is paler in color.

Zoey and Chloe are the White Leghorns. I can't really tell them apart yet.

Aldonza and Dulcinea are the Barred Rocks. I think they may be Black and Buff, and not Black and White like I was expecting.

Miss Thing and Lola are the Amaeracaunas.

I also spoke with the family who adopted my extras, and they said they are thriving. :)

Man can these things eat! I can't figure out where they're putting it all. And they are growing like mad. It's only been a week or so, and they already have feathered wings.

The crop is sort of under the chin, right? They all seem to have lumps of varying sizes under their chins.

6. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I am jealous. We ordered 49 RIR peepers and they were supposed to be here tomorrow (the 7th). Rec'd an email from Ideal saying they won't be here till the end of the month. [​IMG]

ah well...gives us a bit more time to expand the coop and get ready.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] They are so sweet!! I love it when they are that tiny!

8. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yep, the crop is under the chin, on the front of the chest. You found it! And you are right, the tiny ones eat astonishing amounts of food! :)

9. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    Man can these things eat! I can't figure out where they're putting it all. And they are growing like mad. It's only been a week or so, and they already have feathered wings.

i don't think they put it anywhere, they just poop it right back atcha!!! [​IMG] then they just grow and grow and grow and........poop and poop and poop and poop!!!!!

[​IMG] have fun with them, they're super-cute!​

10. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have to wipe the butt on one of the chicks, and it seems to stick to her fluff......someones gotta do it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by