My babies are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flirty31, Sep 11, 2012.

1. flirty31

flirty31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    I am BRAND NEW to this urban chicken farming thing and on Friday the 7th my husband and I brought homw our first 3 chicks from the feed store :)

[​IMG]

This is Gertrude, our Americana. We also have Adelaide, a barred rock, and Marge(ne), a Rhode Island Red. They all have little wind feathers and the beginnings of tail feathers that have recently sprouted. Any idea how old that makes them? We thought they were 48 hrs old when we got them, but now I am thinking they're actually a week old.

Any tips on handling? Can there be too much handling? It's 85 outside today so I was going to take them outside of their brooder to run in the grass. Anything I should be weary of outside at this young age?

Thanks!

2. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    Watch for predators and don't leave them unattended.

3. flirty31

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you! I have two dogs, but I will lock them in the house for sure. I will probably never leave them alone with the chickens, ever.

Also, I am planning to be outside with them the whole time. I wonder if it's okay for them to scratch and peck at the lawn (there's no fertilizer or chemicals on the lawn), since that's probably what they'd be doing in the wild.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Maybe use a large box with bottom cut out. That way they have a boundary and can't get to far away from you. They are pretty fast, even at that young age. And yes, Never leave them unattended until they can fly away from predators.

5. flirty31

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks for the idea of a box with the bottom cut out. That would probably work!

6. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    They are cute :)

7. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Mine started getting those feathers at about 4 days. So it's safe to say they are about that old. Mine are a week and a day old today. For the past two days I have been taking them out to scratch around and they seem to love it. I am always standing with them. I have a bag of treats that I shake and call them, and now they come running to me. My way of training[​IMG]. It is about 85 here in the afternoon so I am not worried about temp right now. Good luck with your little fuzzy butts

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by