my babies are outside tonight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tankernav1, Apr 26, 2009.

1. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    I hope that we made the right decision. We have 8 chicks that are about 4 1/2 weeks old and going nuts in the box in the house. Everytime I lift the screen up they are trying to jump up and fly out. I can't even refill their water. We take them out when we can but there is really no where for them to go except the bathroom floor. My house stinks on the main floor! [​IMG] So the kids and I finished the hardware wire on the coop today and they went out this afternoon. We had plans to bring them in this evening but just didn't have the heart to put them back in the box after they had a taste of getting to move around. So about 7pm we decided they would stay out. Their top level with the solid walls and roosting areas isn't done yet. But we put their box in the coop on its side and I did put the heat lamp out there. Although it doesn't seem to be heating much since it is pretty out in the open. They are walking all around though---not huddling and seem fine. The temp is 73 degrees out right now. Please tell me my babies will be ok. I keep checking on them and it is 11:30pm now. I am paranoid I will see a coon stalking them. Even though I am confident they are secure, I just don't want them freaked out. They didn't seem upset by the dogs and cat outside the wire. But still, I worry.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] awwww! your babies will be alright my 3 week olds survived 40 degrees with no light. ive got tough chicks! [​IMG]

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    They should be fine, I was nervous when mine spent their first night outside as well. [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    They'll be fine! Mine went out last week with 50 degree nights, just turned 6 weeks today-ish.

They're getting a hail storm at the moment, but the coop part of their home is tight as a drum. It's hard the first time we put each batch out, but they are really fine and dandy unless it's super cold out- as long as they are draft-free.

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I am right there with ya, we put our's out friday (they are 5 weeks old) and was worried, but with the temps staying pretty high for this time of year, they are fine. I checked on them saturday morning (after leaving the heat lamp on for them just to make sure...they weren't even sleeping near it! so I figured I would leave it off last night and tonight. if the outside temps get lower than 50 then I will turn it on but other than that I think they are fine. but they don't really like the dark. poor things squeak and squawk when I turn out the light.

but they had to get out of the house!! the brooder was way too small for all of them, and it was so warm/hot outside, it just seemed to fit. I'm tired of the dust and smell. and they are loving the extra room to practice flying, and running around like crazy.

after the first night, it gets easier. I am on night 3 and I haven't even checked on them since I turned out the light. last night we checked on them once, and the night before, uh not sure how many.

6. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    OK---I feel better. Thanks. I just keep thinking that since the inside of the coop really isn't done---ie no actual henhouse with bedding and a nice soft dark spot to roost, that we should have kept them in. However they seem so happy pecking around in the straw! I've gone out a few times but it is after midnight now. Bedtime!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by