My babies came!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nyrial, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Nyrial

Nyrial Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    So all morning (even before the post office was open) I'm flipping out about all the "What ifs" Because that's just what I do. Lucky for me I work for a very.. relaxed.. company. So about 9:30 I tell our design engineer that I can't take it anymore, I'm going to go work from home, and as I'm walking out.. post office calls!

So they shorted my order on my Mottled Houdans (my husband is very disappointed) and we lost the "extra" baby in shipment [​IMG]

But here they are!

All Tuckered out..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last night I also picked up some 2 week olds on CL. They're all supposed to be pullets (others are straight run) but since they were a grab bag, I'm not sure of the breeds.

Dude said he thought this was a RIR?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and the "big" kids took a short field trip outside today. Sorry for all the images, I'm overly enthusiastic..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any guesses on the breeds for the other four? I'm especially interested in what the little dark one is. When/how is the best time and way to introduce the older ones to the little ones?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congrats on your new little ones.

I don't know if your red one is a RIR or a partridge rock.

Black one looks like an Australorp.

Looks like one Red Sex link,

Perhaps a Delaware

And a white rock.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Beautiful - love the pictures - Could the dark one be a Barred Plymouth Rock? The face looks like my Adidas. You will know better when she feathers out - barred rocks look speckled when the feathers come in.

Caroline
    Jax FL

4. Kelso

Kelso Songster

Aug 6, 2009
    Cute pics and I have no idea. Please keep the pics coming.

5. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Dark one looks just like my Barred Rock's when they were itty bitty *sigh*

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Congratulations on your chicks. [​IMG] [​IMG] Also how old are your older birds? [​IMG]

Here are some pics of my some of my RIRs when they were about 3/4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Those babys are so cute- and so are the chicks. Your dark one looks just like my 2 wk old barred rock. good luck and enjoy!

8. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

aww so cute ! whats on your little kids hand? like a toddler thumb brace?

9. Nyrial

Nyrial Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Thanks for all the ideas and compliments on the babies.

The things on Gretchen's hands are thumb guards, they're an anti thumb sucking device. And I will definitely keep the pics coming, the photo album on Facebook keeps growing, although none yet today, I've been busy pulling nails out of the wood for my coop. I guess I should start on that at some time... When is the best time to move them to the coop, and, should I move them all at once (as in, wait for the little ones to be ready) or move the big ones out 2 weeks earlier?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: