My babies died please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmrusnak72, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jmrusnak72

jmrusnak72 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    I had three eggs hatch a week ago Monday. Last night the babies were with there mom and fine. They are out with the rest of the chickens too. This morning all three are dead no sign of injury.

2. ballybayboy

ballybayboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    they could possibly have died of fright or panic? do you have any predators e.g cats or foxes around your home which could get in at the chickens?

3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    If there is no sign of injury, it could possibly have been cocci or just getting squished in the coop overnight?

4. jmrusnak72

jmrusnak72 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    How do I know if they had cocci? I am so bummed.

5. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    They get listless, have diarrhea, sometimes bloody diarrhea and die quickly. I don't know if that was it in your case. I don't know your set up. Where are you? It can also be heat stress, especially this week! Were they on medicated feed? Did anyone spray anything on any plants or bugs in your area? Are any of your other birds sick or not quite right? It could be anything from moldy feed to blood sucking insects. The last one is not very likely, but I would bet that unless they were on medicated feed, cocci is a likely culprit. I am so sorry your chicks died. [​IMG]
    You can do a search on BYC for any of these possibilities. There is a lot of very helpful information out there.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG]

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Is it possible they had mites? i had mites kill a newborn chick that was with it's mom. She was a little wild so i wasn't handling her or checking the nest box like i should have.

8. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

9. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i had 7 chicks hatch and die a week later for no reason to and couldnt fig out why but i got some med chick feed and so fare all lived after that only problems i have now is from them getting squished buy older chicks or chicken dont mean to just happens and most time its the runt that gets kill [​IMG] wish u luck and srry for u lost [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by