My babies eat like horses!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kanga77510, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    I go in there and fill up the feeding dish a few times a day. They eat nearly non stop, I swear! Will they slow down?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    In time. Until then let them eat what they want. They are babies and need a lot of feed.

If you're feeding in a dish chances are a lot of the feed is ending up in the brooder litter when they scratch it out.

.....Alan.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They also eat more of the cheaper foods that have a lot of fillers.
    I noticed that my current chicks on Purina eat a lot less than when I raised chicks on Dumor feed.

I bet they're probably scratching it out though. Use a feeder designed for chicks, that will help some, also you may want to put their feeder on a piece of wood or something so they can eat the food off the ground after they scratch it out.

Babies just eat a lot because they grow almost before your eyes!

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I have 22 RIR's that will be 5wks old Thursday. They empty a 7lb. feeder everyday now. I thought maybe they were wasting some but when I sifted through the bedding there was not a spec of feed to be found. I have noticed that every time I check on them, they are at the feeder gorging themselves. They are growing though, and fast.

Marty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by