My Babies First Swim

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lolliegee, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Thought you all might want to see pics of their first swim...they were so cute. I filled up a rubbermaid tub with warm water, just deep enough that they could swim, but not so deep that they couldn't stand. Two of them actually swam from one end to the other under water. My whole family stood around the tub and watched them. It was too cute. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Empera

Empera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    [​IMG] How old are your babies?

They are absolutely adorable. My khakis first swim was about two days ago, and it was incredible to watch them.

3. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    They are almost a week. Two were born last Thursday afternoon and the other 4 were born on Friday. It is amazing to watch. The instinct to swim is so strong. [​IMG]

4. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Empera, I just noticed that you think you have 1 male and 3 females...how old are your Khakis? I didn't think you could tell very early. I'd love to know sooner rather than later what we've got. I'm definitely hoping for more females than males. [​IMG]

5. Empera

Empera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    Quote:I recieved my Khakis from BYC member nivtup, and he said they were (at the time) anywhere from 4-6 days old. So now it would be 9-11 days old.

Well, it's a beginners guess of course, so I wouldn't count on my word. But, I've read everywhere that the females quacks (in khakis and lots of other duck breeds) have a loud somewhat "squeeky toy" noise when you pick them up. While the males have a softer, raspier sound compared to the females.

We tried with every one of them and one of them always sounds raspy, as if it has a cold. (of course it doesn't though, haha)

In the end, we are hoping our guesses turn out to be turn. You never know.[​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I love watching them swim. But you think they are cute? Get goslings!

7. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Oh, don't tempt me Miss Prissy...I don't have the room for them...I'm already pushing the limits of what I've got room for. I have just a hair under a quarter acre within city limits. If I still want to have some yard for the kids, I've gotta keep myself in check. Our goal is to one day have a place that's got acreage and be able to own lots of animals, but for now I have to live with only the chickens and the ducks. One day, I'll be able to get geese too. I can't wait for that day. I grew up on a farm (well, not a farm exactly, but we had every animal at one time or another and lots of chickens, ducks and geese) and I've always wanted to be able to have that kind of life for my family.

8. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    There just isn't a smilie that expresses how cute those pics are. everybody looks so happy and healthy. [​IMG] Your little crested looks like the "cool dude" in school that always had to have his hair different. lol. You can almost see them smile [​IMG]

I will be waiting for more pics as they grow [​IMG]

Julie

9. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I need to stay away from threads with cute duck pictures in them, or else I'll be bringing one home.

10. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Very cute!
    I always get a laugh watching the little ones swim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by