My babies found the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goochgirl, Jun 21, 2010.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    We got some mealworms today, and my son tried to coax the girls up the ladder with them. He said that it was too slippery and they couldn't get up the steps. We decided to remake it tomorrow. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the outside light to check on them, and they were both in the coop on the perch. I'm so proud of them for figuring it out! Such clever chickies!!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

VERY clever!! [​IMG]

They may be chickens, but they ain't STUPID chickens! (And they're a whole lot more nimble than we sometimes think they will be.)

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    They do surprise us sometimes... Now how many time will you peek in on them tonight???? [​IMG]

4. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Yeppers, they did it again tonight without any bribes. I think I was just as excited to find them down in the run this morning. They have officially found their way, just in time for me to be overwhelmed by trying to keep the human children inside our coop and run!

5. ALLcoopedUP

ALLcoopedUP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    You're lucky! I have 2 silkie chicks that are 2 months old now and I have to put them into bed every night! But at least they can get down on their own in the morning! The ladder is quite steep but their mom and dad go up to roost with no problem and I keep hoping they will just watch and follow.
    We did have trouble with the other hen in the first week we had them but it only took 1 week of DH chasing her with his rubber gloves and much squaking and flapping to get her to get the message! Perhaps they are actually her chicks (brooded by the other much friendlier hen) and won't get the idea until they're quite a bit older! [​IMG]
    There's no way I'm putting 10 chicks to bed at night - we need a lower extension on the coop for the chicks- that's for sure! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by