1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies got upgraded!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Mar 20, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    They have been growing like weeks! I had to make a new place for them to live. I took my exercise pen and lined it with plastic and now they have lots of room to run around [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My hubby also came up with a brilliant idea to keep them from making such a horrible mess with their water!
    [​IMG]

We bought a big plastic pot base and a recycled rubber tree ring and a couple small bricks. put the bricks in the pot base to support everthing, then the tree ring which allows water to soak through it and the waterer on top of that and it has been working wonders!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Oh gosh, I just posted a question on keeping water in there over night...do they need it at night, they are 2wks old and make a MESS!!!!!

Whats a tree ring? Please explain I need help...lol

3. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I would always have water available for them. The tree ring is meant to go around the trunk of a tree to prevent weeds from growing, protect the tree, etc. We bought it at walmart in the garden center.

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    ok thanks bunches....

so they have to have water, even when they are suppose to be sleeping...well heck...lol

how do ppl lock them up in the coops at night with no water and food?

5. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    How is this working now? I am intrigued by the tree ring thing...seems to solve the problem of water everywhere and the mess they make.

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    the water soaks through the tree ring? Into the shavings?
    Ducklings are such a mess. They are lucky they are so so adorable. Mine are three days old and already making a mess!

edit:
    I re-read your post, I see that it soaks through and into the pot base. Gotcha! I have put a smaller bowl inside of a baking dish before to try and catch the water. Your idea is much much better. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  7. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Its working really well! here is a pic of one of my girls using it.
    [​IMG]

8. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:Right now they have the heat light on them 24/7 so they arent on a day/night schedule yet. Once they no longer need the heat lamp and are on a good sleeping/awake schedule I think it would be ok for them to not have water and food at night.

9. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    I think your hubby might be a genius!

10. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    That tree ring idea is wonderful!! I think you need to start a thread just about that so all BYCers will see it. It really is brilliant. The best idea for the brooder water mess I've seen in along time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by