My babies growing up and still don't know for sure my breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by retiredwithchicks, Apr 8, 2009.

1. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    The chicks are now 6 and 7 weeks old. Lets see how we do this time in IDing them. I would appreciate any help you can give. I need to know so will know whether to get them a roo to accompany them. I am new but learning. They got to go outside for the first time today.

This one I really have no idea!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one before was thought to be a light brahma
    [​IMG]

This one a golden laced wyondotte
    [​IMG]

This one a silver laced wyondotte
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one was never really decided. This one is also the smallest of the 80 birds, so expect it is one of the smaller standard variety.
    [​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Could the first one be a welsummer? I'm no expert, just looks similar [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The chick in the third pic is a light brahma. I don't know about the others, but I'm wondering if you might have a roo (chick in the first & second pics).

4. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Yes, I am like you with the light brahma. Pretty sure that one is correct. The top ones should not be roosters since I have 4 of them that came with the rainbow layer assortment. I also know how mistakes are made. Thanks for the reply.

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Your first one looks a lot like my EE.

6. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    1 looks like a welsummer
    the last looks to be a java if the beak is black and eyes are dark brown shanks and toes are black to dark willow and bottomes feet are yellow:D

7. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    Don't you also get an opposite of a light Brahma - I suppose it would be a dark Brahma! Dark body with light collar - Pics 4 and 6? Just a thought but I know diddley squat about other breeds so am going to get back into my hole ... [​IMG]

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    #1 is either a welsummer or a light brown leghorn. Earlobe color will tell you for sure. Welsummer will have a red earlobe, and a leghorn will have a white one. If it's a leghorn, it's definitely a pullet. A cockerel would have a very large comb by that age.

#2 is a light brahma.

#3 looks like a golden-laced wyandotte.

#4 looks like a silver-laced wyandotte.

#5 looks like a silver-spangled hamburg.

9. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    The first one is colored a lot like my EEs, and the third pick is without a doubt a light brahma. Mine look just like that just mini size.

vortec

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:It's colored like some EEs, but its legs are yellow, it has a single comb, and it has no muffs/beard. Therefore, a welsummer or brown leghorn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by