My babies have arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FlewTheCoop, Apr 16, 2009.

1. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Got my babies in today! Ordered from Ideal. Unfortunately we lost two Wyandottes...a male and a female, and one of the packing peanuts (looks to be a Rhode Island Red). The remaining rooster is looking a little shaky, and one other pullet is also looking a little weak. However, the rest of them seem quite feisty. I had the two weak ones drinking water off the tips of my fingers, but they can't seem to figure out the waterer...the rest seem to be doing well with that. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the two weaker Wyandottes. [​IMG]

Is there any chance they'll perk back up? They're standing, and did take water from me...but aren't running around or pecking like the rest. Have any of you had weaklings like this upon arrival that DID end up ok?

Thanks for any advice.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Try some sugar water will help perk em up a little more

3. FlewTheCoop

Jan 14, 2009
    Ok...just plain white sugar? What proportions should I use? (Thanks, by the way). [​IMG]

4. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    did you try dipping their beaks in the waterer? Good luck!!

5. FlewTheCoop

Jan 14, 2009
    Yep...they'd drink when I dipped, but still aren't doing it by themselves (that's only the two weaker ones). They're drinking it off my finger, but it's hard to do that because all the other babies come running and try to snatch the drop off my finger. haha.

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I just got mine from Ideal today too- one of my columbian wyandottes was acting like that too, but she perked up after I showed her the waterer a few times. Good luck with yours!

p.s. what kind of wyandottes did you get?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by