My babies have flown the...uhh....hallway...update pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ams3651, May 21, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Finished the brooder box I built into the back of my half finished coop. Its temporary and just requires removing 2 small walls when they are bigger and the rest is finished. I also made a large screen top. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. It nearly cost me my thumbs as both are cut but I was determined. I was suprised they are so big already and poop.....boy are they little poop machines! I got tired of cleaning the box everyday. Its about 43"x47' and they seem happy, I used the flower pot idea from a post here for the heat lamp, Im going to have to put something against it as they pushed it out and were all standing behind it. I know they know how to get in I saw a couple of them do it. Right now Im out to check the temp, Im trying to get the right height but its also 46 degrees outside. ( the forcast goes from 50 to 80 in the next 4 days [​IMG] ) The corner they are in is insulated but the front isnt. They seem happy, I put at small piece of board in and they are pusinge each other off to get a space and running around trying out their wings. Im just so nervous about having them out of the house [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I was really nervous the first time I put my chicks outside, but now I'm counting the days till I can put the rest out there!!! I made it all nice and whatever for them, and they didn't even appreciate my efforts!!!! LOL!!! Post pics ASAP!

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I could not wait to get the dusty little critters out!

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    We were quite antsy to get them off the back porch this time - I think it was because I had so many - they went to the coop early ( protected of course )

5. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Awww. . . we put our 23 chicks out at 10 days old into a brand new, secure, spacious coop with tons of fluffy bedding, two heat lamps, and all the fresh food and water they could drink.

Total chick heaven, and we were complete wrecks, worried about them out of the house!

They were completely non-plussed (happy as clams, of course!) and we eventually quit checking on them every ten minutes.

It's hard not to worry, but ours did fine, and I'm sure yours will, too.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I finially got to take some photos, its nothing fancy but they seem to love it. Been a couple days and Im ok [​IMG] I think.

I just used 2 pieces of pressed board for shelving on the 2 sides and made the corner, screwing it temporairly to the wall so i can take it down to finish the coop. It just fits in the back corner if I ever need to use it again. I made a frame and screen for the top and put a spare window over the corner where the heat lamp is but I think when the weather warms for good I need to replace it with a regular bulb as it very warm right under it but theres no way to get it higher, I had it above the screen before and it was too cold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by