My babies have learned to keep their own brooder clean!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 19, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I suppose I should be proud of them for being such intelligent little babies, right!!! They have started sitting all along the edge of their brooder, loving the chance to use those little baby winglets and look all big. Well, just today they decided to start turning around with their little rear over the outside edge. Now every time I walk in my bathroom there are little poo piles all around the outside of it. *SIGH* The joys of chicken mommyhood!!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At least it's all contained in the bathroom!

3. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    if they're already in the bathroom, just get them to go a little farther and perch on the edge of the toilet. Then all you have to do is flush for them![​IMG]

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Lay a short stack of newspaper pages there!! [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Hmmmm......the newspaper is a good idea, and yes, since it is in the bathhroom that is good (perhaps I could teach them to mop) but this...THIS is the best idea yet!!! WOW, toilet trained chickens!!!! I could go for that!!! LOL [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I did the same thing because they were in the bathroom...newspapers around the edge.

Even now that they are in the hot ub frame, I put a cal king flat sheet under the wntire thing and let it extend out the sides which catches any poo...I scoop the poo and weekly remove all the bedding, the sheet and wash it and then set it all back up again. [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Mine are about to get a bigger brooder so I will try something then. [​IMG] It amazes me that something so tiny can poop so much!!!!! But aren't they so worth it!!!! [​IMG]

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I do pretty much the same thing with lining Chook's roosting basket-- 'cept, if I left that a week it'd be more like mucking out a horse stall!! [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    d.k :

* I do pretty much the same thing with lining Chook's roosting basket-- 'cept, if I left that a week it'd be more like mucking out a horse stall!! [​IMG]

I know what you mean.....my big chickens are amazing! Tons of free fertilizer from 7 chickens!!! I can only imagine what it will be like when these guys are grown too!

The funniest part is, I am PSYCHO about my bathroom! My kids practically need a doctors order to use my bathroom stating they can't wait 2 minutes for theirs, but I turn it over to chickens!!! LOL​

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Lol!! I THINK I got a little carried away with using the fertilizer juice I make up with Chook's droppings-- we're not getting enough rain right now and I MAY have burned the lawn with the nitrogen. . . Easy to do when the 'doo' is arriving at about a cup a day . . . With ONE hen!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by