My babies have short legs. Genetic or deformities

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantu, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    I hatched Out Three Chicks.
    Cochin bantam rooster over a barred rock, Brahma, dark Cornish hens. All three are beautiful puff balls but their legs are short. Very short for a standard breed I think I am new to chicks though [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was concerned initially by their movement but now they're moving just like a regular chick.
    I really like the look of the Brahma mix this is a deformity of course I don't want to breed more

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm not familiar with either of those breeds, but they might have some Dorking in their background.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You saying the Bantam rooster fathered these chicks with the standard chickens?? If so then they are Not a "standard breed" they are crossed and bantams most of the time have shorter legs---So I would feel short legs could be possible, But maybe I am reading your post wrong??

4. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

Yes you understand my concern. I was alarmed because I expected them to be smaller chicks midsized between standard and bantam but regular proportion body to leg lent length. when they walk all you can see is feet. At first they stumbled more than my "normal" hatchery chicks. They move around now pretty well and are eating and drinking. I assume whatever it is came from my rooster since I have chicks from the hens and another standard rooster.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Silkies have short legs as chicks....Are they silkie cross????

6. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    Daddy is gold laced Cochin bantam.
    Moms are= barred rock
    Light Brahma
    Dark Cornish.... All full /standard size... Each mama weighs between 7 1/2# and 9#.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Are you sure it’s not just the feathers on the legs messing you up, creating an optical illusion?

8. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    Measured their legs. The longest is 5/8" the other two 1/2". My standards are 1" to 1 1/4" so maybe u your right. I'm worried about nothing. [​IMG]
    This is Einstein. He has the shortest legs along with the Brahma mix BB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by