My babies, I don't know what to do!!!! Lots of pics!!! Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shannoniganshens, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    My 5 week old Dudder Butter (Idk on the breed) and my Pretty Boy 15 weeks, FBC maran are both not acting themselves!!!! Both have stayed in the coop, both in diff. corners, I noticed a roost had somehow been knocked down (I have no idea if this is what caused the problem), Dudder is limping and swaying when he/she walks and Pretty Boy is just sleeping. Dudder always runs to me, always, he/she likes to sit in my lap and Pretty boy likes to just be his normal standing tall proud self and both are way out of their norm. I had to hunt Dudder and just walked right up to Pretty Boy and he didn't play any of his games.
    Dudder has sneezed twice since being in the house, I'm not sure if it's his clumsy self over dipping in the water bowl though, no runny noses, no rattling, poo is normal,no injuries, the only thing in appearance I notice is Pretty Boy's comb looks pale to me. I'm scared, I love both these chickens, they are my favorite of my entire flock, I brought them in, each in their own box, they are eating and drinking, talking to me and each other, I am noticing a lean when they start to fall asleep, but all my little ones do this, so I just don't know!!!!!!!
    I'm looking for opinions, I hope whatever is wrong it's not life threatening. [​IMG] They are alert/nosey also, have been wormed, and I was told they were vaccinated, but who knows with penny pincher's is what I"m thinking now, I do have access to the vaccination if any one could tell me what the risks are if I gave a could be maybe second dose for it? Cause I JUST DON'T KNOW [​IMG] Do you think they both just got hurt by a falling roost or do they look sick? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Dudder Butter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Pretty Boy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am sorry your kiddos are feeling ill...

First, get some poly vi sol WITHOUT iron...they are infant vitamin drops you can get just about anywhere.

Give them 1 or 2 drops directly on/in their beak. Be carefully putting it in their mouth and do not squirt it down...just gently drop it on their tongue or in the side of the beak so they are forced to swallow it themselves. Do this for about three days.

Feed them some scrambled egg and watch them closely. I would pick up some corid and have it on hand just in case...watch their poo. The first signs of any blood in the stool, put them on the corid pronto. If you get the 20% powder, mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of water or 1/4 teaspoon per quart and keep them on it for 5 - 7 days.

If you do not see any improvement with the vitamins, you could put them on the corid anyway...it will not hurt them but will combat cocci if it is present.

The sneezing is not an alarm unles their is discharge or breathing issues. They sneeze like humans if something irritates their noses...dust, water etc etc.

Hopefully someone will have more suggestions for you...good luck with those little ones.

I would start them on the Corid were they mine...I just went through this with a 3+ month old cockerel. I also wormed him. He was fine and fit a week later.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    Well we got up this morning and Dudder Butter was out of his box chirping away and Pretty Boy was standing proud ready to play his game with me, I played some "peek a boo" with him, I'd hide behind the box and he'd pop his head over and peck me then I'd jump up and he'd run around and I'd duck back down, took them out with the rest of the flock and both went to their normal behavior. Dudder ran to the food to try to be the big little guy and Pretty Boy went to his Lady marans and went right into keeping everyone else away from them. SO YAY and thank you, I did order some corid last night after reading your post and will have it on hand, I just so happened not to have any scrambled eggs but I did have some whole grain rice and they both ate it happily. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by