My babies. (Not so baby now!)

Jenjenners

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hilo, Hawaii

So my original 3 are almost 10 weeks and my new girlies just made 7 weeks. 2 questions!

One: you can see the breast feathers kind of missing on the 2 new girls, they were like that when we got them a few weeks ago, but they are starting to look much better. Should their next molt fix all that now that they are being well fed and cared for? What would have caused that?

Two: the people we got them from have a mix of runners, Pekins, and Swedish. The two runner girls are obvious (the tan and grey ones), the Pekin male is definitely obvious, and the other new girl definitely looks Swedish. But my beautiful other drake w/the copper tipped feathers—what do you think he is? I’d guess part Rouen/mallard, but don’t think they have any? What do you experts think he is? He was completely black when we got him, bill and feet too, and gradually morphed into this beautiful boy. I’m in Hawaii, so not that much of a variety of breeds randomly around, and these ducks were raised pretty far from the only pond where there are a few mallards. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Apologies, I've got not idea on the breeds - I just wanted to say how fab is it your ducks come running !! Mine are way too cool for skool - they are like cats !

Re the feathers - being that happy on that diet, I suspect that will be resolved as quickly as is possible.

Congrats on the fabulous flock !
Thank you! I crack up at their attempts to use their wings, lol—every morning when I let them out of their pen they run two times across the yard like that, flapping their wings and running as fast as they can, then settling down and foraging. I’m so happy they still come running to me for treats! I miss when they were cuddly babies. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom