My Babies Went Bonkers!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken_crazy93, Nov 10, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    I have been reading alot on here & talking to some people about feeding & just keeping my birds happy. I got them some meal worms yesterday & they were eating out of my hand, just loved em. Well, a buddy of mine that I hadn't seen in a while came by this morning as he heard from some of our friends that I had gotten a few young chickens. He doesn't mess with chickens anymore but used to raise game birds for years. At one point I think he was getting $1500 to $2500 a bird & had probably 100 or so on tie cords. We were talkin about what was good for them & what kind of treats I should give them. I told him some of the treats I have been giving them & he said that was good & to go get me some sardines in water & just kinda laughed. I stopped by the store & got two cans, flaked one can of them up with a fork in a small plate, took em out & started to just throw a piece here & there around me. My chickens went BONKERS over them!! I had them all eating out of my hand & my roo hopped right up on my leg & let me feed some to him. The only time I could ever touch my chickens was when they went in their house to roost until now. I think I'm gonna start givin them a can about 3 times a week. If I had opened the other can they would all probably have hopped on my lap, lol. My chickens love bananas & yogurt but REALLY love sardines.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine go crazy over canned mackerel, also no additives. Probably cheaper, too.

3. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to get our chickens! [​IMG]

4. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Quote:You are very welcome & good luck with your chickens.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sounds like a high-protein snack! Does anybody know if this lends a "fishy taste" to the eggs?

Ed

6. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    I don't know about canned fish making the eggs taste fishy but I really doubt it.
    Mine get lots of raw fish scrapes and it doesn't change the taste of the eggs.
    My son and hubby fish a lot so after the fish are filleted I get out the electric knife
    and cut up the remains for the chickens(minus tail, skin and heads) A fine source
    of protien and believe me they love it.

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks GoldenCometLady for your experience. I've heard that certain things can impart a "flavor" to the eggs but wasn't sure about fish. I know that fish meal is used in chicken feeds so it seems it should be safe to use...and raw fish should definitely be good and yummy for them! [​IMG]

The chickens probably think they've gone to Red Lobster!! [​IMG]

Ed

8. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Quote:Same here! Sardines are a favorite snack of mine too, so they will never lack on that! XD

9. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    I found some REALLY cheap canned crab meat the other day, and was going to make crab cakes. Opened a can and gagged [​IMG] it was so fishy smelling! Started to throw the can away, then changed my mind and took it to the hens.... They went wild!!!!! Have never seen such a commotion! [​IMG]

10. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My chooks had leftover tuna salad yesterday. It was a hit!

Glad that I can reduce the size of the compost pile thanks to my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by