My babies.

ParanoidChicken

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Ocean Park WA.
The story behind them is very long and I posted it in the intro section.
It was quite hard enough to write it, I imagine it can be a hard one to read. It likely will pull on your heart.

My fallen angel Henrietta: approx 4 years old here.

My 2 new angels:

Becky: 8 months old about.

and Goldie: 10 months old about.

Last edited:
Awwwww, just beautiful! Sorry about your loss too.
hugs.gif

Thanks you :)

After losing the first one, these 2 are completely spoiled.
Goldie needed some special care after getting her. But she has bounced back well.

Not a quirk or symptom gets by me if I can help it now lol.
After nursing her back from the brink lastnight and staying awake 30+ hours to keep her breathing.

She is now a whole new girl, still on meds but doing 100% better.

Was Henrietta a blue laced red Wyandotte?

I read about her in your introduction. That story made me think about Dove, one of the first chickens I got, a Buff Laced Sebright pullet. A dog killed her, and I found her dead and half eaten...I totally lost it. Losing her was like losing a best friend, her personality was more like a horse's than a chicken's. I still think about her sometimes, at times I think I see her out of the corner of my eye when what I am looking at really is dried golden weeds swaying in the breeze, or a corner of a white feed sack poking out from behind a building...
Feathers were scattered everywhere, and I collected each one out of the straw and brought them in the house. People walking by and breezes from the open door in the Summer have scattered the feathers under furniture, caught them on drapes and knickknacks... When I am sad or angry or feeling lost I will see one of her white feathers, tinted with the lightest pink and cream, ringed with wheat blonde, and be reminded of the beauty in life, the magic in a pulsing vein or intricate heart beating in a forest creature's downy chest... the sweet, alive breath of the Winter wind on your chapped face...the humming in your ribs, behind your eyes amidst a forest dripping and dewy with early morning rain...

I am mostly unsure of what she was. I think she is closer to a red sex link but I suspect she was mixed with something.
That is a horrible way to discover your baby :-( I have no idea how I would have reacted if that was the way she went.

I also think I hear her once in a while and catch myself thinking I see her too. Her feathers were all over the house.
We spent 2 solid days picking up the ones we could find and saved them in a little box. I have one more spot to look for more.
She spent most of her time on the couch beside me in the past few months she was with us.

Even tho I have these 2 new girls. Her loss is still difficult but a little bit easier.
Made harder by knowing now what I could have done to save her had I found more info before the fact instead of after.
But these 2 will at least benefit from me knowing more.
I already had 2 crisis moments with Goldie where she stopped breathing twice in one night.
But I think she finally is over the respiratory issues.

Back
Top Bottom