My Babies :)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by PeepsCA, Jun 8, 2011.

1. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I know these are just regular ol' run of the mill IBs to most of you hard core Peafowl enthusiasts, but they are my very first Peachicks ever and hopefully just the start of a new passion for me [​IMG]

I've had them since they were just a couple days old, they are now almost 5 weeks old. I'm happy to have successfully raised them to this point, but I am and have been SO super paranoid of losing them after all the info I've read on the high mortality rates for Peachicks!!! I'm counting the days go by until they are past their most susceptible time frame and their immune systems are strong enough!!!

Going by all the research I've been doing on how to sex them, I'm assuming they are Hens... but I don't know for sure. Anyone have any input on that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Great pictures! They're adorable. [​IMG]

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Congrats on your babies. [​IMG] The one on right is a hen for sure, not as confident on the left one but probably hen too.

4. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:I read that you can sometimes sex them by their crests at around 3 weeks old (males will have mostly black and a little green, females will have mostly brown with a little black... I think??? I'm prolly wrong tho) and about 2 weeks ago I could have sworn I saw some green developing on one of their silly little stubby crests, but now after some more growth I don't see any green at all [​IMG] I can't see any differences between them at all except for the different catty-whompered directions their crests are growing in, lol. So yah... I'm assuming 2 Hens. I was hoping for a pair, but oh well [​IMG]

5. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:I am always baffled by you experts, how can you tell?

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I read that you can sometimes sex them by their crests at around 3 weeks old (males will have mostly black and a little green, females will have mostly brown with a little black... I think??? I'm prolly wrong tho) and about 2 weeks ago I could have sworn I saw some green developing on one of their silly little stubby crests, but now after some more growth I don't see any green at all [​IMG] I can't see any differences between them at all except for the different catty-whompered directions their crests are growing in, lol. So yah... I'm assuming 2 Hens. I was hoping for a pair, but oh well [​IMG]

Humm..I was hoping I could sex mine sooner that 1 y/o! [​IMG] My two older peachicks are about a month old and are getting a few feathers on their heads.... [​IMG]

~ Aspen

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Congratulations , they are beautiful

Mine were a couple months old before i could tell the sexes.
    They are around 10 weeks in these photos

The male molted and kept it's barred feathers.
    [​IMG]
    The female feathers came back in solid as they molted.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Question, I've noticed that two of my peachicks (one of the older ones and one of the younger ones) are darker than the other two, who are more of a light brown. I was looking at pics of grown IBs and the males have dark chocolatish feathers and the females are more light brown.

~ Aspen

9. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:Question, I've noticed that two of my peachicks (one of the older ones and one of the younger ones) are darker than the other two, who are more of a light brown. I was looking at pics of grown IBs and the males have dark chocolatish feathers and the females are more light brown.

~ Aspen

Post pictures​

10. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Gorgeous Babies Zaz!!!!!! I'm so jealous, lol. I always love your pics, of ALL your birds! I wanna be just like you when I grow up!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by