1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dhendriksma, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dhendriksma

dhendriksma New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    I am new at chicken raising. I have had them for 10 months. I call them my babies, they come running to the fence for treats, leftovers or scraps. I have 10 hens and one rooster. I have noticed this week that a couple of chickens have some feathers plucked out. How can I stop this? I just put black sunflower seeds in there to see if this helps.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they aren't receiving a commercial feed you might consider giving them more protein. Oftentimes when they are craving protein they pluck feathers. Black oil sun. seeds are 16% protein, as is layer feed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Have you noticed how the other birds treat the pecked ones? Do they seem aggressive toward them. Might be pecking order squabbles. Chickens also feather peck out of boredom sometimes. Also, do they have enough space in the coop - too confined means stress. Monitor closely - if the draw blood you will have to isolate the ones getting pecked. Good luck to you!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Feather picking, plucking may be dietary or more likely boredom generated. Increasing protein levels should cover the dietary aspect. Flock blocks, increased free range time or space allowances may address the boredom issue. If you can determine the major culprits (generally those hens in the flock that appear 'perfect') the application of Pinless Peepers can stop this bad habit.

2 people like this.
  5. dhendriksma

dhendriksma New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    They have organic feed from a mill available all the time. They were locked a a bigger pen for 6 days because the temperature was 20% down to -5

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

7. give them lots of protein! good luck! and welcome[​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Best of luck with the feather pecking problem!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    Welcome From Cold Colorado [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by